Cats Delivering Together

Renee Odom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats were both pregnant at the same time and both went into labor yesterday. They have stayed together thru the labor and delivery comforting and helping each other. If one had a kitten and was too tired to start cleaning it right away the other one would do it. At one point they each had a kitten within 5 minutes of each other. They were laying facing each other with their heads at the tail end of the other. Both had a kitten still attached to the cord with the afterbirth not delivered yet. They cleaned each other's kitten, chewed the cords off. They helped each other like thru the entire process. Letting which ever kitten wants to nurse do so no matter who's baby it is. Just wondering if anybody else had seen this behavior before. They were actually born on the same day but by different mothers at different homes but have been together since they were 8 weeks old. I am absolutely amazed by these 2 girls. I've never heard of anything like this before and was wondering if anybody else has.

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many kittens are there altogether? It's wonderful that they are coparenting!

Do you plan to spay them after these litters?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congratulations!

Yes, we've had many members with cats who co-parent. It's a wonderful thing to watch.

Amazing they both delivered on the same day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Renee Odom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many kittens are there altogether? It's wonderful that they are coparenting!

Do you plan to spay them after these litters?
The calico will be but not the siamese. There are 9 kittens total but don't think my siamese is finished yet. It's not the coparenting that was so amazing to me my dog does that every chance she gets. It was the fact they went into labor at the same time then helped each other during labor and delivery that has everyone here blown away. It really was truly amazing to watch!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it was a less common situation. Tx for sharing the witnessing!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do keep us posted, and share pictures when you get a chance!

Renee Odom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lily my Siamese has not delivered all of her kittens yet. The last 2 she delivered was between 4am-6am yesterday. There is definitely at least 1 more yet to be delivered. I can see and feel the baby inside her. She will pant occasionally but nothing else. She's eating, drinking, nursing kittens, no blood or pus in her milk. She gets up and walks around. There are no signs of distress. The vets office said give her another day as long as she's not I distress. I'm still very concerned about her and to be honest I'm freaking out. I've never had a cat go this long between babies. Can anybody give me some advice

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your vet has right. Pauses, even for days, arent unique. Its of course touchy, so do observe and be vigilant.
If momma is OK, no visible troubles, the risk calculum is heavy on the side of waiting. Cats typically manage a little too long pregnancy better than humans, while a too sonn delivery - read a cesarean - is often devastating.

So all considered - observe and wait.
But good you DO have contact with your vet, and know where to go if in need.

Im also glad they didnt routinely told you to come in for cesarean. It would solve the problem, but risk very high the kitten would pay the price. Not even mentioning your pocket.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should continue to wait as long as she is not in distress. The baby will come when it and her body are ready.

Renee Odom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you a breeder? Do you own males as well?
No I'm not a breeder both of the cats were in heat at the same time and one of my son's friends came over. His dad left the door open when he left and they both got out at the same time. They are not even a year old no way would i have done this on purpose!! I was pretty upset. The man hates cats with a special burning hate for Siamese because of a childhood incident with one. I wondered if he did it on purpose. At the time it happen the coyotes are very active and come in my yard. 3 years ago over a dozen small pets went missing from this area. I personally lost all my cats in one night. He is aware of this because he lives in the area. I'm choosing to believe i was being paranoid because of our son's friendship. I would never allow him in my home again if i knew for sure it was on purpose. But I'm not stupid so taking precautions with the doors now because I'm not completely convinced it was an accident.