Cats, Cats and MORE CATS!

colorpointcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
let me start by saying i hate people...

1. my fiance's dad...brought back Gemma plus his 7 year old siamese and a giant cat named biggie..reason tired of all the cats.....

2. Diamond cornered an adult bob tailed cat in our garbage can today thing is drenched and completely frightened. Trapped her and she is currently in my bathroom. She acts confused like she's not used to being out doors and she doesnt know where she is at. I suspect she is another drop. sadly its been happening often.

so i know have 4 new cats in the household. Gemma hates lil kids. she's staying in my fiance's room. biggie needs special food for urinary issues-which they stopped feeding him-so i have to go buy that food and try to find him a forever home. Simba-7 year old neutered and declawed siamese-pretty laid back.

Apollo-doing fine with the new comers as is Callisto. Sirus..well he is being a tad bossy and territorial which is to be expected.

How hard will it be to find a 18lb cat a home that needs to be on special food? And the bobtail? she shouldnt be that hard to find a home for.

guess i will be doing a few vet runs in the next few weeks and setting up a couple s/n appointments besides sirus's.

wish me luck

pictures will come as soon as the cats are all settled in. We may attempt to keep Gemma here but probably not let her out of my fiance's room till the kids are in bed and the lil one's door is shut just to be safe.

also if anybody has any ideas for homemade scratch posts let me know.

i got a large list of things to do:
litter boxes
food
im building an outdoor enclosure for them as well...maybe that will calm Gemma down.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by colorpointcat

let me start by saying i hate people...
Sometimes I get the same feelings...

good luck my friend...
thanks for caring the kittys...

Let me find some links and I´ll send you....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colorpointcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Sometimes I get the same feelings...

good luck my friend...
thanks for caring the kittys...

Let me find some links and I´ll send you....
i have a friend right now bringing me a big tote to use as another litter box. another who said he may buy me the materials to make them an outdoor enclosure.

sad thing is i havent even started to TNR the ferals around here yet! ONE is very very pregnant.

colorpointcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links. i also was thinking bout grabbing some of the wood from outside. a neighbor cut down a tree and perhaps i can use those to give the cats some climbing stuff as well. we use s ome of the smaller ones in the birds cage.

colorpointcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night was interesting. Sirus -thank god he's gettin neutered soon-yowled all night long and i swear he sprayed everything he could possibly spray. So it was time to get the vinegar and wash all the walls and carpets lightly with it then spray frebreze so my house doesnt smell solely like vinegar. Sirus is the only one misbehaving-granted its instinct for an unneutered boy-now he doesnt know what to do he hates the vinegar smell-last time i used it he didnt spray a thing and that last for almost 2 weeks so i m thinking every 2 weeks till he's neutered redo the vinegar cleaning should lessen his spraying.

my other 3 boys that are here are all neutered.
gemma-vet suspects a pediatric spay was done-which needs more tests done to make sure
'peanut' no history so i doubt she is spayed
callisto-only 8 weeks old.

I have to find homes for biggie and for 'peanut', dont think that will be an easy task.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

gemma-vet suspects a pediatric spay was done-which needs more tests done to make sure
Just a note---pediatric spays usually work out just fine in cats. 14 weeks is THE perfect time for a spay (I have had girls go into heat exactly at 16 weeks), IMO, and even younger than that is fine most of the time. But she's the one you think had an incomplete spay, right? That can happen even with an adult spay, it's just something that happens with cats occasionally. They have tricky ovarian tissue. Don't be afraid to spay cats young, at least you'll avoid ending up with even more cats, LOL. Better make the appointment for Callisto ASAP!

Cats. They're a problem, aren't they?

colorpointcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Just a note---pediatric spays usually work out just fine in cats. 14 weeks is THE perfect time for a spay (I have had girls go into heat exactly at 16 weeks), IMO, and even younger than that is fine most of the time. But she's the one you think had an incomplete spay, right? That can happen even with an adult spay, it's just something that happens with cats occasionally. They have tricky ovarian tissue. Don't be afraid to spay cats young, at least you'll avoid ending up with even more cats, LOL. Better make the appointment for Callisto ASAP!

Cats. They're a problem, aren't they?
my spay and neuters are like this:

1. Sirus-june
2. Diamond-july
3. Bobtailed female-August
4. Callisto-September

than everyone will be done. I will NOT adopt out the female Bobtail till she is spayed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose those are your priorities, of course. You can't get appointments for more than one at once? Callisto will be 6 months old in Sep and she could go into heat before that. And the bobtailed female could certainly get preggers anytime if she's not already spayed (ya never know). I don't envy you the job of keeping everyone contained.

colorpointcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I suppose those are your priorities, of course. You can't get appointments for more than one at once? Callisto will be 6 months old in Sep and she could go into heat before that. And the bobtailed female could certainly get preggers anytime if she's not already spayed (ya never know). I don't envy you the job of keeping everyone contained.
as long as peanut stays in doors she will not be able to get preggers, sirus my only unneutered boy. I cant afford to do more than one at a time. One a month is the best way to go.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

as long as peanut stays in doors she will not be able to get preggers, sirus my only unneutered boy. I cant afford to do more than one at a time. One a month is the best way to go.
Remember that he can still get her pregnant for a while after being neutered. The exact timing is unknown but you should still keep them separated for 3 months after the neuter to be safe. Or until she's spayed of course....a spay can't fail

colorpointcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Remember that he can still get her pregnant for a while after being neutered. The exact timing is unknown but you should still keep them separated for 3 months after the neuter to be safe. Or until she's spayed of course....a spay can't fail
lol. I didnt know that thanks for the information. I so dont want tail-less sirus babies running around! They'd be cute as heck but NO thank you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol. I didnt know that thanks for the information. I so dont want tail-less sirus babies running around! They'd be cute as heck but NO thank you!
Yeah, there's debate on how long after neutering that a male can still get girls pregnant. There are still sperm in the tubes for at least a week or 2. Probably longer. There have been documented cases of recently gelded horses getting mares pregnant up to 3 months after gelding, but there are no documented cases in cats (probably because cats are rarely DNA tested for paternity like horses are). I would guess everything would be cleared out after a month-6 weeks but it's best to wait 3 months just to be safe.