Cats are not Blockbuster videos

JAL57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Question for everyone here: How do you serve as a resource for people who don’t see cats as family members, but disposable objects?

A relative of mine has next door neighbors who have now adopted and returned three kittens. With the first two, I gather the kittens got diarrhea once and they panicked. So they traded the first two in for a new set of kittens — the shelter let them do this — and were happy with the second pair of kittens, except for one thing. The kittens kept running away from their six year old daughter, who would grab and try to squeeze them. Instead of teaching their daughter patience, they adopted another kitten just for her.

Well, the first time they let the kitten out with the other two cats, he chased them, as rambunctious kittens are wont to do. There was no scratching, biting or cat fighting, but they have now decided to return this kitten, too, after one try.

I really dislike these people and feel that area shelters should be warned about them (although I don’t have time to do the warning myself). They adopt kittens when they are at their most adoptable, hang onto them until they’ve aged out of prime adoptability age, and then dump them back on the overcrowded shelter, taking a place away from another animal who’ll wind up in a kill shelter.

Wtf is wrong with people like this? If you are a selfish person, fine, you do you, I’m not saying you should be shot for it, but then *don’t adopt a cat.* Cats require you to put another being’s needs before your own. They are not stuffed animals. If you want a toy, get a tamagotchi or something. Sorry for the rant, but some people just need to take a hard look in the mirror.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over here we have blacklists.
When a family proved to be not suitable for adopting a cat or a dog, they might end up in this blacklist which is only visible to shelter and rescue staff across the area/region.
If they show up at another shelter looking for a kitten, their names could come up and the adoption might be denied.

This is what you or others good will people could do, let know the shelters in your area about this family so that no more kittens will be used as disposable items.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it helps ease your frustration - because I really do understand. But I have had an instance where I returned a cat and it was horrible. On the other side though, we ended up with a cat who had been returned. The first family said the cat had behavioral issues. He has become a wonderful cat, so I think he just wasn't in the right home/right environment. We are thankful that someone gave him up so we could have him and love him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JAL57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if it helps ease your frustration - because I really do understand. But I have had an instance where I returned a cat and it was horrible. On the other side though, we ended up with a cat who had been returned. The first family said the cat had behavioral issues. He has become a wonderful cat, so I think he just wasn't in the right home/right environment. We are thankful that someone gave him up so we could have him and love him.
I’m glad your story had a happy ending! My concern here is the carelessness with which these people return cats — not once but three times, and due to minor issues. Diarrhea and harmless rambunctiousness are both temporary problems that often come with the turf if you adopt kittens. For serial surrenderers, I think blacklists are probably a good idea.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
People often exaggerate the problems when they surrender animals. Diarrhea is embellished to wetting on the carpet. Rough play is described as dangerous aggression. So far they've done two surrenders and were probably able to offer convincing reasons. If they get into doing it multiple times, eventually the shelter will catch on.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I, too, had a cat who was a returnee after a failed adoption. The people involved had adopted four cats from this shelter (all floofy ones), then after a year their marriage broke up and they returned them all. That was how I got my Circe (who passed away last summer at age 15.5 after 9 years with me), and the cat they had described as "aloof" was a total snugglebug with me who slept cuddled with me every night and nap time.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m glad your story had a happy ending! My concern here is the carelessness with which these people return cats — not once but three times, and due to minor issues. Diarrhea and harmless rambunctiousness are both temporary problems that often come with the turf if you adopt kittens. For serial surrenderers, I think blacklists are probably a good idea.
I agree - I think in your instance it sounds more like they aren't ready to have cats or pets if they can't "put up with" some of these things. Those are fairly "normal" things to have happen in kittenhood at the very least. I would imagine the shelter will catch on. I think those kittens will end up in the right/better homes though. Ones where their families love them through everything.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There will come a point where they won't be able to adopt from that shelter but there are other shelters and rescues for them to go to. There are times when a return is necessary. One that I can think of is if there is a resident cat. Of course, to give that a real honest effort if would be awhile before the return. Sometimes though cats just will not coexist peacefully.