Cats Are Fighting!

Megankitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 2 lovely burmese cats. They are indoor cats as we live close to a busy road. They have been together for 4 years and occasionally 'play-fight', but as of Wednesday they have been hissing and growling at one another and becoming very aggressive when they come in contact. Its very bizarre and we want to find the source of the problem as they often get in these 'hissy fits' at early hours of the morning. Additionally, we found them tonight and they were behaving each other until our brown cat smelled the lilac's fur and another growling match started. Any suggestions would be appreciated in solving this! Thank you!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if this is redirected aggression. Is it possible that a stray cat is coming onto your property where your cats might see or smell it? That is just ONE possible cause for redirected aggression.

Re-directed Aggression In Cats See if this rings any bells. I'm also including a link to an article on non-recognition aggression, simply because you said that it often happens after one cat smells the others coat. There may be a component of that going on, as well! How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats . And JUST IN CASE, this one as well! Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) . Might as well cover the bases, here!

Welcome to TCS. We are more than willing to try and help you to figure this out and restore harmony! You have a community now. What are your cats' names? When you have a moment, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your cats to our community. The more the merrier! :hellosmiley:

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like redirected aggression that caused cat -to cat aggressive. Once they started it, it became a vicious cycle. Block the window to the outside and put cloth underneath the entrance door etc. Feral cats are usually active between 10pm to 6 am.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megankitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if this is redirected aggression. Is it possible that a stray cat is coming onto your property where your cats might see or smell it? That is just ONE possible cause for redirected aggression.

Re-directed Aggression In Cats See if this rings any bells. I'm also including a link to an article on non-recognition aggression, simply because you said that it often happens after one cat smells the others coat. There may be a component of that going on, as well! How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats . And JUST IN CASE, this one as well! Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) . Might as well cover the bases, here!

Welcome to TCS. We are more than willing to try and help you to figure this out and restore harmony! You have a community now. What are your cats' names? When you have a moment, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your cats to our community. The more the merrier! :hellosmiley:

Thank you so much! I will read up on redirected aggression and implement ways of preventing it! Its really nice to be a part of such a great online community. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megankitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like redirected aggression that caused cat -to cat aggressive. Once they started it, it became a vicious cycle. Block the window to the outside and put cloth underneath the entrance door etc. Feral cats are usually active between 10pm to 6 am.
Thanks so much for these quick tips! curtains are already closed :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's why we are here, Darlin'! And one of these days, you will run across a question on here very like yours, and be able to help that person out, and so it goes and around it goes...