Cats And Vacations

kellic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have a 7 month old Calico who is very attached to us, she LOVES being around us and needs constant attention and loves to play. We usually go on vacation in June and this will be the first time that we would go and leave a cat behind. I had a cat a long time ago, that couldn't care less if we left or not, lol. This one, I think she would. I'm torn between leaving her where she is comfortable and having my sister in law come visit to clean her litter box and taking her with us on vacation, usually we drive to our vacation spot, which is 6 hours away. I don't know what would cause her more stress, being away from us for 5 days or taking her with us on a trip? Any words of wisdom? Ugh, I' m ready to just to a staycation lol.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand your plight, do I take her with us or leave her home. In my opinion, since she is comfortable at home, you have a sitter who can come in several times a day to take care of her needs and spend some time with her, and she knows that person, I would personally leave her at home. I think dogs are easier to travel with than cats. I would be deathly afraid that she would run out of the door somewhere, scared, not knowing where she is and get lost.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the trip would stress her out more. Have the sister in law come in, stressing a lot about not letting cat get out the door, and have her up daet you. Cats are fine by themselves, she will surely miss you but will love you all the more when you come back!

Johnriii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think the trip would be more stressful than staying home. cats normally don't care for cars, unlike dogs, and what do you do with them when you get to your vacation spot? much like yourself, I have these two furbabies that I'm going to have to leave sooner or later. my biggest fear is that they will brutalize my house more than they do already, with no actual supervision or consequence. my wife and I left my older tabby for a week, and when we got back, he was actually hostile towards us for about 30 minutes. with yours being as young as it is, I would say that it would be fine with at least daily visits from someone it knows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kellic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!! I think I will leave her at home where she is most comfortable. :)