Cats And Parakeets..?

CSM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This seems real good, however I have one question. So, my little sister is getting two parakeets in a month, and we have 3 cats. She's the favorite person of the cats, and they follow her literally everywhere. In the case that they scared the bird, we were gonna use the spray bottle. Are there any other ways people here know of?

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had two budgies for awhile & kept them in their cage. We had many cats & dogs at the time so didn't want to risk anything. We eventually gave them away as I was stressed out all the time worrying something would happen when I had to go for groceries.

Not my picture.....but cute cat with ''chicken pox''.

cathaschickenpox.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :hithere: How nice to hear your little sis is the cat's favorite family member. Regarding her getting two parakeets in a month please read this Article since it is not recommended to spray a cat with water for any reason: 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat
We'd love to see pics of your kitties and parakeets when you get them. You can post pics here: Fur Pictures and Videos Only! Good luck! :goodluck:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The spray bottle is not the way to go. Just tell the cats no anytime they get too near the cage and be mindful of cage safety.

I have bred budgies and our have always been kept in a large outdoor aviary but the bottom line is budgies are the perfect size for cat prey. You'll want to make sure the cage is out of reach and the door is secured with some sort of lock (I've had bugies open their own doors before, but also in case the catsknock over the cage). If the cage is within reach of the cats I'd do some sort of tight netting around the part the cats can reach so claws don't hurt a bird who decides to hang out on the side (kinda depends on your cage set up). Also reinforce any joints on the cage itself so if it does drop the birds wont get out. Simple o rings or a caribineer clip works. I know there are people who have no trouble with birds and cats but it's not common. My guys like to jump on our aviary and the birds have gotten to the point they don't even jump anymore.

This is my budgie set up. We only have three birds in there right now, old breeders who are retired and living out their lives.