Catnip And Spraying?

CatMom33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a three year old neutered male from the Humane Society; his previous owners turned him in due to a cat allergy. When introducing him to our two other cats (a ten year old female and a four year old male), the introductions were going well. He reached a point where he could be let out freely and unsupervised.

One evening, he began to play with a catnip mouse and spent the entire evening drooling over it. After he finished, he immediately jumped up onto the sofa and SPRAYED. I was horrified. I cleaned it up with an enzyme cleaner, and attributed it to the new environment or maybe stress. I bought two Feliway dispensers and set them up in common areas where the cats frequent.
Fast forward four days. He's playing with a catnip mouse again; after he's done, he immediately turns around and sprays our stainless steel garbage can.
He uses the litterbox normally, and has already been cleared by the vet. Has anyone heard of catnip causing cats to spray, or should I be more concerned that it's a behavioral issue?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never come across this before, but I'll try to find SOMEONE who knows what might be causing it. Over-excitement, maybe? Give me a little time to research what and/or who might help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He sounds all jacked up from the catnip, enough so that in his excited state he needs relief so he sprays. Catnip can be a powerful stimulant for some cats.

I suggest he play only with non-catnip mice.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'd never heard of this so did a bit of research and came across this article in Scientific American that describes in detail the physiological impact of catnip on cats. This sentence may give a clue as to what's happening:

"The hypothalamus regulates neuroendocrine responses through the pituitary gland, creating a "sexual response." That is, the cat essentially reacts to an artificial cat pheromone".

Since there is a connection between male cats spraying and testosterone levels (neutered males typically spray less than toms), it wouldn't surprise me if your boy is having one of those "sexual responses" mentioned in the above sentence. In other words, it's quite possible that he has no control over it. Attempts at behavior modification won't work. As Sarthur2 Sarthur2 mentions, you may just need to keep him away from catnip.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe try subbing in silvervine for catnip? That’s another plant that cats like. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Or valerian, but that's a crap-shoot. Some cats find it calming, other emphatically do NOT!