Catit Gold Fern Air-dried food, any thoughts?

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I was in my local pet store this weekend looking for a dry food I could use to supplement Juliet since I think she is slightly underweight. She will eat canned but often doesn't want to finish it but she loves dry treats and will eat them even immediately after she's walked away from her wet food. I figured a quality dry food might get her to eat just a smidge more calories and gain a little bit of weight.

After looking at every single bag at the pet store (and almost walking out empty handed because I didn't like most of the options they had), I found Catit Gold Fern Air-Dried food on a shelf near the treats. It appears to be a nutritionally complete food (unless I'm missing something) and the ingredients look really good to me. Anyone ever tried it? Or have any opinions on the ingredients included?

The ingredients in the chicken variety are: Chicken, Chicken Gizzards, Chicken Liver, Green Lipped Mussel, Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavoring, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Inulin, Brewer’s Yeast, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols, Taurine, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid

I did buy a bag and so far, Juliet likes it. It's VERY expensive at $22 for a 14 ounce bag but I plan on only giving her a small amount each day to supplement her normal meals. I also bought the Doc & Phoebe's Indoor Hunting Cat Feeder to put the food in. Juliet is very smart and easily figures out toys like this but her sister Contessa (who isn't overweight but the vet said "do not let her gain weight" so she's borderline overweight) just gets frustrated and walks away. So it's an easy way to give Juliet more food without having to supervise that Contessa isn't eating too much.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's a complete balanced food with good ingredients. I've never heard of it so it may be a new-ish brand? Air dried foods are expensive so definitely not something one would feed exclusively unless money is not an issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It's a complete balanced food with good ingredients. I've never heard of it so it may be a new-ish brand? Air dried foods are expensive so definitely not something one would feed exclusively unless money is not an issue.
Thanks! I think the brand itself has been around quite awhile (they sell the very popular flower water fountain) but they recently branched out to food or at least brought their food to the US recently. It definitely seems like it's perfect for my use at least, just a meal supplement to get Juliet some more (high quality) calories that her sister doesn't have access to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FWIW both of my cats like the chicken version and have had zero issue with it. I grabbed a smaller "sample size" bag of the other two flavors (one is lamb & mackerel, the other is beef) the last time I was at the pet shop.

I tried beef on Tuesday night, just a small amount for each cat alongside their normal Friskies canned pate, and they both threw up everything they had eaten at that meal. So I won't be feeding them the beef flavor again. I'm not sure if beef doesn't agree with them or if something is wrong with the batch. It was an almost immediate reaction for both cats. No tummy upset before that or since then and they had eaten the Friskies all day (I open a can in the morning and split it into 3 meals and refrigerate between meals) so I'm 99% sure it was the new food.

The chicken flavor hasn't caused any problems, even with a new bag I just opened. The beef doesn't look or smell off so I'm confused. I'll be contacting the manufacturer just in case.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think this is a pretty close alternative to Ziwi Peak air dried. I just discovered it! Catit has been around for awhile, looks like now they're getting into the food side of things. I will get a bag & see if my cats like it. I can't believe even the bag looks the same as Ziwi Peak, but the ingredients are different.