Cat wound

lcNcheeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
7767000D-3B83-4A8A-A531-88E2026CB06A.jpeg

my poor cat suddenly had this on him starting 2 days ago, i’m wondering what it could be from?? (i just cleaned it so it looks wet) i’ve been putting antibiotic ointment on it a few times a day. is there anything else i can do at home? should i take him to the vet? does this look like a spider bite or what?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Could he have been in a fight? It could be some kind of puncture wound. Whatever has caused it, it's a vet visit situation as the infection could be deeper and ointment just won't do the job.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi lcNcheeto .

To me, that looks like there's an infection going on inside there....but, if that's the case, it really needs professional treatment. Any attempt at a DIY approach can easily spread these things inside his body....where the cream can't and won't do a thing. That's serious trouble.

So, have him seen and in the meantime, the cream will help - just ensure it's a 'plain' antibiotic ointment, not one with pain relievers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If that white drainage is pus and not antibiotic salve, he needs an oral antibiotic. Get a liquid one and put it in a small amount of tuna juice or Hartz delectable clickable treat in stew flavor, chicken and tuna or tuna and shrimp. Many vets will sell you one over the counter if you bring in that photo or e-mail it to them. the brown scab is a good sign of healing, that white discharge and the redness is not.