Cat Won’t Use Litter Box

icanbeaghost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi y’all! I’m new here and I made this account specifically to ask y’all’s opinions/advice on an issue I’m having with one of our cats... So long story short, she lost an eye a few weeks ago and now hubby has put her in the house. (She used to be an outside pet, obviously.) Anyway, now she refuses to use a litter box and is pooping on the same spot on the floor behind the front door. This cat knows how to use one, I know she does. (She's 4 years old and was an inside cat before going out.) Has anyone here experienced something similar? I am going insane!!! It’s ruining the floor and it’s not like we’re not working with her on this. Thanks for any help.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Also obtain some Cat Attract litter, and some people have had good results by adding some unfertilized potting soil to the box.
Puppy pee training pads on the floor where the problem is typically occurring can help with cleanup til this gets squared away.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest unfertilized potting soil then eventually doing a mix of that and a clumping litter. My friend did that when her cat refused to use clumping and crystal litter. But now her cat is on clumping litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icanbeaghost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd recommend taking her to the vet to rule out any potential underlying medical issues. That's the first step that we like to take with litterbox avoidance.

Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems

Another possibility is that it could be stress-related. A feliway diffuser mimics feline pheromones, which helps cats to relax.

How often do you clean her litterbox? Cats can be picky about cleanliness.

Thanks for the advice! She is going to the vet next week for a booster shot, we will be sure to ask them. And it gets cleaned constantly. There are 2 other cats inside and there are 3 total boxes, so there really is no issue with cleanliness.

icanbeaghost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Also obtain some Cat Attract litter, and some people have had good results by adding some unfertilized potting soil to the box.
Puppy pee training pads on the floor where the problem is typically occurring can help with cleanup til this gets squared away.

That's a great suggestion, thank you!

icanbeaghost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest unfertilized potting soil then eventually doing a mix of that and a clumping litter. My friend did that when her cat refused to use clumping and crystal litter. But now her cat is on clumping litter.

Thank you! All good responses here. I never would have thought soil would help.