Cat Won’t Stop Peeing On Walls!!

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I am about at my wits end!! I had brought in a stray pregnant cat a few months ago. She had her babies and is kept away from my male cat. However, my cat HATES having her around. So much that he is peeing (marking??) on the walls of my RENTAL. I have not seen him use the litter at all since we brought the stray in. Can someone please help me?? How Can I get him to start using the litter again and prevent him from peeing outside the box? Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered? If not, that would be the first step. It takes 6 weeks after neutering for all the hormones to leave. The main reason he is doing this is because cats hate change, and you have introduced a big one to him. Once he gets used to all the change he will settle down. My male started spraying when we moved and introduced two new cats in the family, it took over 6 months to a year to get him to stop. He was neutered, but had learned spraying before we got him fixed. It was all the stress that caused him to do this, as it is for your boy. Your female may be (most likely) in heat again, they can come into heat literally days to weeks after giving birth, and will keep cycling in and out until they are bred again, that may be bothering him greatly too, the smell of her will be strong no matter how far away she is being kept. I would get her spayed ASAP. For now you may have to get him into a small room or area until he uses the litter box again. It is critical to get a good cat urine enzyme spray to eliminate any urine odor and to keep him from remarking. At any carpet store and most shopping centers or hardware stores they have clear carpet runner that has little 'nubs' on the back to hold it in place. It is cheap, and you turn it upside down, nubs up , to keep him away from any area he returns to. It hurts their feet without injuring them and works to keep them away from areas you don't want them in. It can be used on furniture too and is easily removed. This was the only way I could keep mine from going to certain corners. I had it all over my house for a while, but it worked!
My heart goes out to you, I know how frustrating this can be. You will be blessed for your patience and for caring for that mama cat too, good luck and keep us posted on how things are going, it helps to be able to vent!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is neutered. He is 8 years old and I’ve had him since the day he was born. Bottle fed him and his 3 sisters because their mom had abandoned them. Needless to say, he’s my baby!! I have been cleaning the spots that I can tell he has gone but I’m positive I’m not getting them all if he hasn’t used the litter in months! The mom just had her babies on Monday so she is still weeks away from getting spayed. I am afraid I will need to put my boy away in the bathroom with his litter box...I hate to do it but I literally can’t afford to have him continue peeing on my walls and carpet. Do you have any suggestion for a good enzyme spray?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's Miracle is a good one, i usually go on Amazon and look at the reviews. You might start a new thread here and ask members, I'm sure there have been a lot used! There are some that to me smell worse than the urine, so it is truly just a matter of trying. Many times I buy it at Walmart, I have found that the cheap ones can work very well too, I like it because you just spray the area and walk away. I go back and give it the 'sniff' test when it dries. If I can detect a smell, I spray and soak it again I keep it around now because I have some feral toms that spray around the outside of the house. It really works!
Since your boy is neutered, it is most likely stress related. He WILL stop when he relaxes, I know how frustrating this is. My cat was about that age when he did it too. You might get a couple of boxes and put different litters in them, he may not like something in the litter. I put a standing up plastic lid from a tote in the back of my box, to give him an acceptable vertical area to spray.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked with the vet about this? Inappropriate urination can be a sign of a UTI.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not contacted my Vet because this behavior started immediately after bringing in the stray cat. I am certain it is territorial.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get him checked for a UTI just in case, those are really dangerous to leave untreated. Antibiotics might fix it right up.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took him to the vet this morning and I suspected, nothing is wrong with him medically. The vet said it is all behavioral. I cleaned the wall and carpet that he pees on 3 times yesterday and today with enzyme cleaner. Luckily our Christmas tree is going around that area so hopefully that will deter him. I also purchased a second box to put in that spot as well. Looks like I’m going to have to train him to use the box all over again...