Cat Won't Scratch Anything Whatsoever

Coreylewisaspin123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I've had my cat 2 months now, she s2 years old and the only thing she seems to scratch is the sofa.

We have purchased FOUR different types of scratch posts, I've purchased 2x Felliway scratch attract and tried almost every possible method I can find on research to get her to scratch anything!.

We have tried covering the sofa in lavender and even covered it in blankets and she's still going at it.

Any advice?,

and yes I have tried with treats, showing her how too, grabbing her paw and doing it for her, putting treats inside the scratch posts and still nothing ?!?.

Thankyou in advance!

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With Ares I put double sided sticky tape on my sofa (he doesn't like the feel of it and refrains from scratching there now) and every time I found him trying to scratch on the sofa (pre-tape) or the sofa cushion (after-taping the arms) I would calmly pick him up and place him on his scratcher which is right near the sofa. I'd pet him and pretty soon he'd start giving it a scratch or two. Whenever he did that I'd make a big fuss about how good of a kitty he was. Now when he's frisky and showing off he'll go to his scratcher and scratch away. I always make sure to pet him and tell him how proud I am of him. lol He doesn't scratch the sofa anymore, and if he tried I'd just pick him up and put him on his scratching thing.

I guess my advice would be patience and making sure one of the scratching toys you got her is right near the sofa on whatever side she tries to scratch. Good luck!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I agree with @ares that double sided sticky tape is a good deterrent when your cat is scratching the sofa. We have it on our sofa in the family room for this very reason and it works! Here is a helpful Article about cats scratching the furniture: How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could cover the sofa with huge sheets that completely cover it. Have you tried a sisal scratching post?

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to suggest using a piece of string or a favorite toy tied to some string and run it along or over the scratching post when playing with your cat. When the cat attacks the toy/string on the post and its claws get into the scratching post this may alert the cat to the attractiveness of using the post. It was one of the ways I successfully introduced my cat to the joys of using a post.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my chair looks worse than that. Maggie destroyed it. But it's like 15 years old, it needs to go anyway.
His problem isn't scratching. He only scratches the floor vent grates (metal), and his scratching post.
His deal is trying to eat stuff. :gaah:

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night while messing with the cat he clung on to the thin throw I have on my leather sofa after a slight slip.