cat won’t defecate, vet can’t feel any impaction

pizzagoth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a really long story that I will keep short.
2 weeks ago I brought my 12 year cat into an emergency vet to treat him after he had been sick and lethargic. That vet gave him enemas for some large hairballs and treated him for an infected tooth.
After a long traumatizing few days, I brought my cat to a better hospital because it seems that original vet caused a huge wound in my cats backside and punctured his colon.
His wound is being treated by a great surgery team and is healing as it should be. His colon received some sutures. He’s eating and drinking normally. He is on pain meds and has to be sedated for his bandage cleaning.
He’s not pooping. He’s on stool softeners and the like - the internists at the hospital have been on the case. A few days ago an X-ray showed some very hard poop in his colon so the team gave him a very gentle, but long enema. He had little dribbles of diarrhea but not a significant poop. They gave him another enema today and while there was some poop, still not significant. They are X-rating him now because they couldn’t feel that he was impacted enough to cause this lack of poop.
I’m sick with worry. They really don’t want to have to manually remove the fecal matter due to his wounds. I’m also terrified he’s losing the ability to defecate. Or that his colon has narrowed too much from the injury.

he’s been so strong through all this trauma, I’m so worried that this isn’t treatable. Does anyone have any insight?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing I could suggest that the vet isn't already doing.
So I'll just say that I hope he starts feeling better and that his body starts functioning soon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is his colon not able to contract? I assume they're wary of giving him anything to promote that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pizzagoth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unsure. They have seen him strain to defecate and only have a tiny bit of diarrhea

if his colon wasn’t able to contract what could they do for that?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought I saw something while looking for something else, a medicine, that can help with colon contractions.