Cat with struvite urinary crystals (now on a urinary care diet) peeing outside the catbox today

Elanley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about two weeks ago I noticed something seemed very off with my 1.5year old male, long-haired cat. He was extremely lethargic and hiding under my bed (something he has never done before). I kept an eye on him and began noticing very frequent unproductive trips to the catbox, and licking of the urethral area. I called my vet after a day and a half of this and they said to bring him in. There was no urinary obstruction thank God, but they tested him for crystals and he did have them. So due to package delays he’s only been on the perscribed royal canin urinary care food for 1.5 weeks as of today. I know it takes 4-8 weeks to dissolve those crystals.
This morning I noticed he had peed outside the litterbox, just tiny little drops of pee around the house. And he puked outside the litterbox and is currently sleeping right beside the litterbox.

I guess my question is, do I just wait it out since last time it wasnt a blockage. Just try to make him as comfortable as possible, give him some of the leftover buprenorphrine and prazosin from his last visit to help him feel better?

When do I get concerned to the point that I take him in to check for a blockage? I guess he’s going to have days like this for a while until his new diet can take affect. It just scares me when I see him like this, but is it just one of those things i need to wait out for it to pass? What symptoms and for how long do I need to see them before I take him in?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I wouldn't risk it and definitely take a cat straining to urinate whenever it happens, especially that he also pukes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above - have the vet check him again. Did he take any meds for a UTI? If not, he might need an antibiotic. If he had a course already, he might need either another round or a different kind of antibiotic to completely eradicate the infection.

If you did a sudden food change, that could explain the vomiting. Or, he could be intolerant to that food. Also, are you giving him the dry or canned version? The canned will yield quicker results simply by virtue that it provides more moisture and therefore helps to flush the bladder more readily. More water dishes/bowls - even a fountain - might help to get him to drink more too. The moisture is the biggest factor in helping to reduce the production of crystals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elanley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well he was slowly introduced to the new (dry) food over the course of 5 days and has now been solely on it for over a week, so I don’t think that’s it.
I called the vet and they said since he’s urinating a fair amount it means he’s not blocked and there’s really nothing they can do for him. So Im giving him the meds I mentioned in my post (via vets advice) and just hoping he feels better soon.

He wasn’t determined to have a UTI when I brought him in, so no antibiotics.
This just really sucks because I hate feeling powerless to help him and having to just wait for the food to take affect. And now he’s really loopy and out of it from the meds. I hate seeing him not like his usual spunky self.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe the meds he is taking is causing stomach upset (hence the vomiting), especially if they are strong enough to cause him to act loopy and out of it. Hope he can get off those meds soon, and that you start to see some improvement overall!