Cat With Strong Personality

cat_are_best

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum :) I have always owned cats and I would like to have some advice on my British shorthair boy .

So my British shorthair boy , he is one year and half old , desexed . Who has an extremely strong personality that I cannot understand . To summarise it all , he reacts to everything in the not extreme manner .

For example :

1. When I first take him home as a kitten, he was hiding and screaming his lungs out to show his fare . I mean literally screams his lungs out to tell me not to get near him . It went as far as I cannot even enter the room which he was hiding . If he hears my footsteps towards his room ( door closed of course ) he would start screaming . Since I had many cats and grow up with cats , I was surprised at his reaction . It took him total 2 weeks to come and approach me .

2. After he settled, he is very affectionate, and he loves being with me . But then , if I go to the bathroom with door locked , he would again screams his lung out because he needs to be with me every second .

3. When I put him in carrier everytime for a vet visit. He would again scream the whole way in car ride and in vet’s office .

4. When he gets happy and excited during play. he will bounce and jump and rush into everything, even far as hitting his own had on the wall because he was over excited and running too fast .

5. When that I brought my mother an designer handbag as a birthday present , he tries to sniff and play with that bag , I don’t want him scratch it so I simply picked the bag up and put it in the closet , then ... he screamed at the closet door for a solid 20 minuets...

Sorry for writing so long , in general he just over react to everything . At this point I don’t even know if that is a behaviour problem ? Because he is affacinate, playful , eats well , always using little box etc ~

Thank you for reading my post , I would appreciate ANY opinions !

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Charlie has a strong personality too. Couple that with his being unsocialized when he was little, and you can imagine the trouble I've had. He attacks my arms and legs with his claws out, he's obstinate, and doesn't like to cuddle (with rare exceptions).

I've learned to appreciate him, warts and all. He's the most interesting cat I've ever had, and he's shown me that he misses me when I'm gone for more than a day.

Charlie does seem to be mellowing out a bit with the passage of time. It also helps that he's occupied with my new kitten.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my limited opinion, it's not a behavior problem--it's his personality. He might mellow a little (less screaming), as he ages. I recently adopted a rescue who is about 4, and she hid for more than 2 weeks and is now super-affectionate!

She doesn't 'scream,' but she whines when she wants me to do something--e.g., if I'm working in the kitchen, but she wants me to sit in my recliner so she can get into my lap for petting.

They seem to have similar personalities, but my 'older' girl is quieter. Perhaps he'll mellow out too--or perhaps not:-)

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a vocal and opinionated cat. Do what you are told and everything will be fine. Seriously, he will mellow some with age.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum :) I have always owned cats and I would like to have some advice on my British shorthair boy .

So my British shorthair boy , he is one year and half old , desexed . Who has an extremely strong personality that I cannot understand . To summarise it all , he reacts to everything in the not extreme manner .

For example :

1. When I first take him home as a kitten, he was hiding and screaming his lungs out to show his fare . I mean literally screams his lungs out to tell me not to get near him . It went as far as I cannot even enter the room which he was hiding . If he hears my footsteps towards his room ( door closed of course ) he would start screaming . Since I had many cats and grow up with cats , I was surprised at his reaction . It took him total 2 weeks to come and approach me .

2. After he settled, he is very affectionate, and he loves being with me . But then , if I go to the bathroom with door locked , he would again screams his lung out because he needs to be with me every second .

3. When I put him in carrier everytime for a vet visit. He would again scream the whole way in car ride and in vet’s office .

4. When he gets happy and excited during play. he will bounce and jump and rush into everything, even far as hitting his own had on the wall because he was over excited and running too fast .

5. When that I brought my mother an designer handbag as a birthday present , he tries to sniff and play with that bag , I don’t want him scratch it so I simply picked the bag up and put it in the closet , then ... he screamed at the closet door for a solid 20 minuets...

Sorry for writing so long , in general he just over react to everything . At this point I don’t even know if that is a behaviour problem ? Because he is affacinate, playful , eats well , always using little box etc ~

Thank you for reading my post , I would appreciate ANY opinions !
For #1, I would say, "Normal". A kitten's adjustment period to a new owner and new home. Which moves on to #2, and glad to hear he's affectionate and loves being with you! I think because he loves being with you and is still under 2-3 years old, you are likely his main buddy and he wants to be with you when you are in the bathroom. A lot of cats do enjoy the bathroom; my cat also has a lot to say when I lock her out of our bathroom at times. For #3, nearly every cat I've had spends time meowing in the carrier, from coming home on that first trip but also since they are usually put into a carrier when to go visit that strange person called, The Vet. Vets are often not the most enjoyable people for a pet. For #4, he loves to play! Normal! And #5, that handbag must have a great smell to him, and he can smell it through the closet door, lol!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the vote it is his personality, not his environment. he sounds exactly like my siamese. My cats ALL cry constantly on the way to the vet. He sounds like he loves you so much he can't stand to be away, make sure you leave him a worn shirt to snuggle with that has your scent on it so he can feel you near. He will improve with age but my ten year old is STILL the most vocal and rambunctious of all my cats!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just drama queens (or kings) and are very expressive/loud with their likes and dislikes. Not much can be done to change them but sometimes not reacting helps to not reinforce their behavior. You need to find a balance with yours and tune him out some of the time. Otherwise just enjoy his antics. Since he sounds overactive too, be sure you have a thoroughly catproofed home so there is less for him to hurt himself with or damage.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wanted a British Shorthair. Especially one that would want to be with me 24/7. Wanna trade? :D