Cat with PPU bleeding slightly after peeing (TW: cat butt/surgery pic)

Luca2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
My boy Luca (age 3) has had quite a year. He had his first urinary blockage this July, he later reblocked 48 hours later and the emergency vet recommended a PU. We went ahead and did it after much research but we were very hesitant. Luca had a hard time recovering and it just about wrecked my nerves but we did it :) September rolls around and Luca begins to pee all over the house. His regular vet couldn’t find anything wrong with him but we took him back in to his surgeon and he says it’s stricture. The only solution is to do a revision to his PU. My heart just about breaks because he went through hell after his first surgery but we go through it anyways because Luca is so young. Anyways this time around the recovery is much easier and he doesn’t lose as much weight and he’s in much better spirits. Now about two weeks ago Luca has started to over groom his surgery site and I notice his fur is tinged with blood after he pees. I’ve taken him in to the vet and they did a urinalysis and didn’t find anything abnormal. He has his cone on to rule out behavior issues but even after a week of the cone on Luca has small amounts of blood surrounding his surgery site. Unfortunately his surgeon is on vacation till next week and the stand in was no help. Has anyone had any issues or similar problems in the past with their PU or PPU babies. This is my first time posting. I’m sorry if this is so long but I think it’s all relevant. Thank you, any help is appreciated
67DC32DE-9727-47F7-A139-FCEDE980DB8A.jpeg

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several of our members' cats have undergone the same surgery. I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. Let me just say that your Lucca is so very lucky to have such great custodians!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luca2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :) I worry so much after all the surgeries and after care. Fortunately, Luca is eating, playing and peeing normally. He’s going about 2/3 times a day and he’s drinking a good amount of water. I have to mix it in his wet Royal Canin S/O food but he eats it no problem. The small amounts of blood appears after he pees and even with the cone on. The vets have not been helpful and none seem to be worried about the situation. Hopefully someone has some insight or advice :sickcat:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am by no means an expert in this area,but it sounds like he may have Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease, which is possible even after having P/U surgery. Part of FLUTD is cystitis, and it could be that. It could be that his bladder is currently inflamed, since he appears not to have a UTI at the moment, per your above comments. Does he seem to be in any pain? Is he urinating in his box and only in his box, or not?

Here is an article about FLUTD with a link to an article on cystitis. Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) – TheCatSite Articles Anything sound familiar to what is happening? If so, I would discuss these possibilities with your Vet and see if some medication is in order.

Is he a nervous cat? Often stress is what brings on urinary tract issues. Also, does he get plenty of fluids. Hydration and stress reduction are the two best things to help keep these issues at bay.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Luca2016,

If I were you, I'd search the site for "PU Surgery" and then reach out to any members directly whose cats have undergone it. Members here are always usually very happy to help with questions such as yours. Good luck and please don't forget about us! When Luca's primary surgical vet returns let us know what he/she says.

Luca2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am by no means an expert in this area,but it sounds like he may have Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease, which is possible even after having P/U surgery. Part of FLUTD is cystitis, and it could be that. It could be that his bladder is currently inflamed, since he appears not to have a UTI at the moment, per your above comments. Does he seem to be in any pain? Is he urinating in his box and only in his box, or not?

Here is an article about FLUTD with a link to an article on cystitis. Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) – TheCatSite Articles Anything sound familiar to what is happening? If so, I would discuss these possibilities with your Vet and see if some medication is in order.

Is he a nervous cat? Often stress is what brings on urinary tract issues. Also, does he get plenty of fluids. Hydration and stress reduction are the two best things to help keep these issues at bay.
Thank you for your suggestions and I have read the article you linked.😺 In the research before Luca’s PU I was shocked to find how horrible FLUTD can be to cats. Luca’s regular vet did diagnose him with cystitis after his PU and unfortunately he is a very nervous cat. We have Feliway plug ins to help with the stress and it has helped. He doesn’t like fountains (we’ve tried a couple) but I add a good amount of water to his food and he laps it up happily. Luca does not seem to be in pain but I do think he’s uncomfortable in some way because he tries to lick even with the cone on but cannot reach. My partner and I have tried enriching his environment slowly. Couple new toys, more play time and keeping the litter boxes spotless. He is only peeing in the litter box which is great and perhaps that’s why the vet isn’t too worried as of now. In October when Luca was peeing 8 times a day and all over the apartment it was clear we had a serious problem. Now however we can’t figure out what’s wrong.😞

Luca2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Luca2016,

If I were you, I'd search the site for "PU Surgery" and then reach out to any members directly whose cats have undergone it. Members here are always usually very happy to help with questions such as yours. Good luck and please don't forget about us! When Luca's primary surgical vet returns let us know what he/she says.
Thank you Lavishsqualor, I will definitely do that and I shall update once we know more. :geekcat:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Extra water added to his food is great. For nervous cats, high places are good, so if you don't have any cat trees, perhaps you could get him one or two, are even shelves up on the walls that he can jump to. Or bookcases that he can safely jump on. Also, safe places to hide in to "get away". Even boxes are good if they are the size of a cat carrier with just a hole cut out for them. One of my cats actually likes hiding in his cat carrier, since I leave it out all the time.

There are also cat "CDs" made specifically with cats in mind that have been proven to relieve stress in cats. Google it! And Feliway can be good, if you run those diffusers 24/7 and have enough of them. I think one will cover may 500 sq. feet? It's been awhile since we used them so not sure now how many we had. Pretty sure we ran at least three at all times .