Cat With Ongoing Issues

ASG1800

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
We adopted a Persian cat several years ago when he was 1 year old. He is now 5. He was de-clawed when we got him (I don't agree with de-clawing, but it was already done). We started noticing problems soon after we adopted him. He began peeing on the carpet (wall-to-wall) and later on our living room area rug. The rug was so soaked with urine that the carpet cleaner told me to throw it away. He didn't just pee in one spot, but all over the entire rug. I bought a blacklight kit and using that, saw pee stains ALL OVER our entire house, on the carpets in every room, even beside the laundry machine. He does it when we are not home. I have never caught him in the act. I took him to the vet and they did a bunch of tests including blood and urine, and said everything is "normal." The vet thinks that it's a behavioral problem. His eyes also have excessive brown discharge that leaks out and he shakes his head and it goes all over the walls. He has basically destroyed our house with the urine and brown stains! Also, he was diagnosed with Feline Hyperesthesia, or "twitchy cat syndrome", so he acts peculiar and seems stressed. We have put out 2 litter boxes, taken him to the vet, we use "Cat Attract" litter, keep the environment as calm as possible, give him toys (including a tunnel that he loves), and we clean his eyes every day. My husband adores him, but he has ruined our house. We are actually about to put our house on the market, and we can't afford to replace all of the carpeting, and we will have to re-paint all of the walls... It's been a disaster. What do you all recommend? Should we try giving him anti-anxiety/anti-depressant medications? The vet had suggested meds for the Hyperesthesia, but we were hesitant to medicate him. How about for his eyes? There is SO much discharge that cleaning them once/day isn't enough. My husband and I both work full-time, so we aren't home during the day. We are going to be moving into a rented apartment soon, and I am terrified that our cat will destroy it, especially when paying a large security deposit. I don't know what to do. I don't want to give him away, but he's been more trouble than I had thought, and I've had Persian cats my entire life.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, yes, I would try calming meds for him. For your sake AND for his. The poor dear can't help it. Hyperesthesia is miserable for cats and for those who love those cats, and many do very well on medication (the cats, not the people, although the people may have been ready for medication, themselves). I know that Jackson Galaxy did at least one episode about this. I tried (and failed) to find it on youtube, but I did find a LOT of GOOD videos about treatments. Just go to youtube and type in "cats hyperesthesia" and you will have a world of good information!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, yes I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 that Hyperesthesia should be treated of course. But the eye discharge has to be a medical issue separate from that doesn't it? I don't really know much about Hyperesthesia but I've read an article or two and don't recall eye discharge. Absent a link there, your vet has failed to diagnose a clear medical issue, so isn't the answer to medicate for Hyperesthesia and also find another vet? We hear a lot of stories on here, and can say for sure that not all vets are any good.

Maybe also post in the health forum. Someone that frequents that forum might have some knowledge of what the eye issue could be. But there are an awful lot of causes of eye discharge in cats, Cat Eye Discharge and Eye Problems so you likely need another vet regardless of any help you get here.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Demi had eye discharge, the antibiotic Amoxicillin cleared it up. You could ask your vet about that. Maybe talk to a different vet? That might also help if he has a UTI. Is he getting some canned food every day?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for catching that! The other issues are so extreme, I missed it.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have a flat faced kittty but one of our has seasonal allergies and gets the brown discharge. Our vet had us get some saline eye drops. It will thin out the discharge and clear his nasal passage some so maybe he won't need to shake his head as much. Just make sure saline is the only ingredient.