Cat with Kidney Disease

2catstx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is almost 15 and has kidney disease for less than one year. Next blood work next month. Having so much trouble finding a kidney food she will eat long term. Have some wet she'll eat here and there but my cats are used to dry. We have tried 3. The last one, pro plan which her sister eats in regular and she used to eat was great for awhile but now she tries to steal the other cats regular food. Anything that's worked for your kidney cat with other cats in the house, please. Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What kinds of wet food have you tried besides therapeutic brands specifically formulated for CKD (chronic kidney disease) cats? From all that I have read and heard, most cats never get 'into' the therapeutic brands (my cat hated them), or if they do eat it, it is pretty short lived. As you will note when reading through the data in the web site link above, there aren't any foods provided in the associated charts that are dry, but plenty of options for you to try in wet form with less phosphorus. Lower phosphorus is the primary goal with feeding CKD cats. For the most part, most of the commercial foods that are lower in phosphorus should not be a problem for your non-CKD cats to eat either.

Having said all that, wet food is an integral part of helping all cats, not just those with CKD, maintain proper hydration, which supports kidney health. If nothing else, try to see if you can wean them all from dry food by starting out with testing some dry with a bit of water added to it, and then more and more to see how far you can go with this approach. Meanwhile, try some of the lower phosphorus foods for all your cats - maybe you will find some that they will all like. This might just help your other cats avoid what is going on with your one girl.

I do want to point out that over the long haul, there will likely be medications/supplements that your CKD cat will need that the others will not. So, there will be occasions to isolate that cat so you can give her those. That, however, will be a lot less daunting than trying to find a way to keep each cat out of the others' food, if you can find a happy medium.

The link to the overall web site noted above, which if you haven't seen before, is a good place just to get a seriously heavy, but necessary, foundation all about CKD and its progression. Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org).

There is also a support group affiliated with this site - that might also be a good place to talk about how to go about feeding multiple cats, when only one has been diagnosed with CKD. Btw, that support group can be found here: [email protected] | Home

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had 2 kidney kitties. One lived to about 14 yrs old. She ate Science Diet k/d. My other kitty lived to be almost 16 and we didn't put her on a kidney specific diet. We gave her a potassium supplement daily. We fed her Instinct chicken, venison, and rabbit wet food as well as snack size portions of Taste of the Wild Mountain Stream dry food. My vet was good with this.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve also had my fair share of kidney kitties.
My current one is going on 19 yeas old.
He’s been on a homemade raw diet for the last 14 years. I know that’s not for everyone, but just letting you know what I feed.
I supplement his meals with potassium, niacinamide, and milk thistle. The potassium is for muscle, the niacinamide is a phosphorus binder, and the milk thistle is for liver support. Why the liver support? Because the kidneys and liver are like partners, and when one is weak, the other takes a heavier burden.

trishia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a list of food on Tanya's site and you consider joining the forum/io group there, but you should also join the Feline Chronic Kidney Disease group on Facebook; they also have lists of foods.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iams has a new Urinary dry food. I just ordered it for Demi. He doesn't like any of the other brands I tried.