Cat with hunched over position

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My cat suddenly start showing with hunched over position a lot. Normally, when I see that, he ended up throwing up and thing goes fine. Since about 2 days ago, he started to show with hunched over position a lot and also not really as active as before. I also saw him with lack of energy toward his back legs when he moves. He can still walk and run if he has to, but I totally see less than before. The thing is he still eats fine and still tries to eat other cat's food, just everything is bit slower than usual. I also see him sneeze more often than before, but nothing too frequent. He can meow but it sounded less energy (and quieter) than before as well. I know in here, the weather got suddenly colder past week, so I don't know if this is related.

I know I really need to bring him to the vet, but I am also experiencing some car issue lately that thing became harder for me to go out until I resolve that as well. I will still try to stop by as soon as I can, but I am also curious if anyone has experienced similar and if so, what should I do to make him better? Thank you

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hunched up like you describe sounds like he might be in pain, but there is really no way for us to be certain what is wrong. As long as he's still eating like normal, and using his litter box like normal, both peeing and pooping, then I don't think it's urgent to get him seen by the Vet, but if anything changes, then you might need to see if a friend or family member can take you and your cat to see the Vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Long story short, my cat suddenly became sluggish, made hunch over position often (like asthma attack position) but not doing anything, and had hard time moving around about 2 weeks ago. Past few months, he lost weight, but his appetite stays the same and uses litter box fine with pee & poop looks normal (no diarrhea), and no vomit, so by looking at this, his eating and usage is fine, but I also feel like something is bothering him.

After seeing this symptom for a week, I finally brought him to the vet and did blood work. Before the blood work, I initially thought vestibular disease because of his weak back legs and lost balance several times. During the check-up, it was not, then I thought maybe diabetes, because he is 9 years old orange tabby, recently saw him drinking a lot, rear legs being weird, and constant appetite. Today, from his blood work, everything related to that was fine. and the vet says one of his liver value was bit off.

Now, the vet mentioned his rear legs could be many, and perhaps blood clot too, which wouldn't be able to find from blood work. I am quiet worried about this part, because sometimes, his rear paws were colder than front paws (but intermittently). We're kind of on a antibiotic treatment for now and see, but also curious if anyone had similar issue as mine? Also if blood clot, what can I do to improve/alleviate? It's hard for me to keep seeing my cat acts sick, but cannot find what is wrong, and time passed by and you know...trying to get this cure sooner I can.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Aortic Thromboembolism in Cats

To start at the end of your post, if the vet really suspects a blood clot, something needs to be done about it. While I am not a vet, I can understand why your vet suggested a blood clot after other rule out conditions and some testing. It may not be, but the bottom line to a blood clot is that the cat needs treatment from the vet. It is not something you can even start to handle at home, no homeopathy or home remedies will help this....or help it in time. Of the list of symptoms of blood clots in cats, not all of them need to be present for a clot to exist; even a couple could be indicative of a problem.

You need to find out how serious your vet was about suggesting a blood clot. Was this just something he threw out that is 1000/1 chance your cat does not have this, or is it a real possibility?

I lost a cat to a blood clot several years ago. You can't fool around with this, especially since diabetic neuropathy has been ruled out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aortic Thromboembolism in Cats

To start at the end of your post, if the vet really suspects a blood clot, something needs to be done about it. While I am not a vet, I can understand why your vet suggested a blood clot after other rule out conditions and some testing. It may not be, but the bottom line to a blood clot is that the cat needs treatment from the vet. It is not something you can even start to handle at home, no homeopathy or home remedies will help this....or help it in time. Of the list of symptoms of blood clots in cats, not all of them need to be present for a clot to exist; even a couple could be indicative of a problem.

You need to find out how serious your vet was about suggesting a blood clot. Was this just something he threw out that is 1000/1 chance your cat does not have this, or is it a real possibility?

I lost a cat to a blood clot several years ago. You can't fool around with this, especially since diabetic neuropathy has been ruled out.
Well the reason blood clot brought up was my cat is having weird rear legs and walking weird suddenly. Also several times, I noticed rear paws were colder than front ones. However, the vet also couldn't call out fully yet because blood work usually isn't showing sign of clot and there is not much test to figure out(?) so I am bit confused and lost. It's still on the table but due to the liver value, she suggested antibiotic first.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The catch with blood clots is that there is not a simple diagnosis and usually they are diagnosed and treated based on symptoms. This can be a slippery slope if it is a blood clot, so watch your cat very carefully and call the vet or get to an ER if you start to see other or worsened symptoms.