Cat with FHV (feline herpes virus) flare up

Jenniferanne2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. We adopted a kitten 7 ish months ago. After being with us for 3 or so months, she started having issues with one of her eyes, the vet confirmed she had FHV. After 2 flare ups, 2 vet visits, & some research, I started her on L-lysine. The vet recommended Purina forti flora. She has been on both for a little over a month. 500 mg of L-lysine once a day. She started sneezing 2 days ago & I’m pretty sure another flare up has started. I recently read about Bovine. Does anyone use this along with L-lysine? And does anyone have any recommendations on how to help her before the flare up gets worse? Vet visits are very stressful for her & I don’t want to make things worse, if I can help it.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be still my heart! She is absolutely adorable :loveeyes:

From everything I have read here on TheCatSite, most people give 250 mg of L-Lysine TWICE a day (so a total of 500 mg), and during a flare-up they double that. In extreme cases, some folks add Lactoferrin to the mix. As far as Bovine, Bovine what? Pancreas? Bovine simply implies "cow or steer", does it not? Maybe you are actually thinking colostrum, which would probably be from bovines, and is probably lactoferrin's main component :dunno:?

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! She’s beautiful! My baby Rue has ocular herpes and the ophthalmologist but her on Famciclovir as well as eye drops daily until her outbreak was cleared up. Luckily we’ve only had one outbreak so far but it was BAD and took weeks for a full recovery. We also decided to keep a cone on her so she couldn’t scratch her eye and possibly cause an ulcer. I would highly suggest Famciclovir as it’s essentially the kitty form of valtrex (the human drug for herpes)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a daily antihistamine? What about eye drops? We used to use eye drops with my herpes kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenniferanne2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Be still my heart! She is absolutely adorable :loveeyes:

From everything I have read here on TheCatSite, most people give 250 mg of L-Lysine TWICE a day (so a total of 500 mg), and during a flare-up they double that. In extreme cases, some folks add Lactoferrin to the mix. As far as Bovine, Bovine what? Pancreas? Bovine simply implies "cow or steer", does it not? Maybe you are actually thinking colostrum, which would probably be from bovines, and is probably lactoferrin's main component :dunno:?
Yes, Bovine Lactoferrin is what I meant. I said it in my head, but it didn’t get typed out. I bought the L-lysine at our local Pet Supply Plus & directions are 1 scoop once a day, which is 500 mg. I’ll contact our vet Monday morning & see if it’s possible to pick something up without having to bring her in.
Poor baby! She’s beautiful! My baby Rue has ocular herpes and the ophthalmologist but her on Famciclovir as well as eye drops daily until her outbreak was cleared up. Luckily we’ve only had one outbreak so far but it was BAD and took weeks for a full recovery. We also decided to keep a cone on her so she couldn’t scratch her eye and possibly cause an ulcer. I would highly suggest Famciclovir as it’s essentially the kitty form of valtrex (the human drug for herpes)
Thank you. She is the sweetest baby ever & so pitiful when she’s sick. I was hoping for someone to give me some insight on otc supplements, but what I have read here, she’s going to need a prescription. I’m not sure why our vet didn’t give her something the last visit. She did send us home with eye ointment. She usually has drainage (only one eye) when she has flare ups. Luckily she hasn’t gotten that bad yet & I’m hoping we can get her on something that will keep it from getting worse. Did your vet recommend anything to keep it at bay? She is on forti flora & L-lysine, but since I see a flare up coming on I don’t think it’s working. I hate seeing any of our babies sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenniferanne2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried a daily antihistamine? What about eye drops? We used to use eye drops with my herpes kitty.
I haven’t tried an antihistamine or eye drops. Our vet did send us home with an eye ointment, but only to use when she had flare ups. After reading the other replies, I’m thinking we need a new vet. This is our 1st kitty with FHV, so I don’t know much about it , only what our vet has told me & what I’ve read online. Besides the forti flora & eye ointment , she said we just had to let it run its course. When I mentioned the L-lysine to her, she said that studies showed that it didn’t really help, but I decided to try it anyway. Maybe she just doesn’t have much experience with FHV🤷🏼‍♀️

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, Bovine Lactoferrin is what I meant. I said it in my head, but it didn’t get typed out. I bought the L-lysine at our local Pet Supply Plus & directions are 1 scoop once a day, which is 500 mg. I’ll contact our vet Monday morning & see if it’s possible to pick something up without having to bring her in.

Thank you. She is the sweetest baby ever & so pitiful when she’s sick. I was hoping for someone to give me some insight on otc supplements, but what I have read here, she’s going to need a prescription. I’m not sure why our vet didn’t give her something the last visit. She did send us home with eye ointment. She usually has drainage (only one eye) when she has flare ups. Luckily she hasn’t gotten that bad yet & I’m hoping we can get her on something that will keep it from getting worse. Did your vet recommend anything to keep it at bay? She is on forti flora & L-lysine, but since I see a flare up coming on I don’t think it’s working. I hate seeing any of our babies sick.
L-lysine is in my opinion like a human taking vitamin D, it’s good for you but not a cure or a way to stop the illness. Herpes is a very intense virus and in my experience will require more than anything otc can provide. If you can see an ophthalmologist, I highly recommend doing so. Like humans either a weakened immune system or stress is going to cause a flare up. Have you been able to pin point which is the cause? We believe since our baby Rue has been on steroids from a young age due to neuropathy, in turn compromising her immune system. The eye drops we were told to continue daily post outbreak recovery is Idoxuridine, which is an antiviral. Again, herpes is no joke and incredibly painful for your kitty. It’s worth seeking opinions other than otc options.