Cat with chronic kidney disease - reflex plus

Gingerboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am considering to give Reflex Plus kibbles to my cat with chronic kidney disease. However, there are choices like sterilized salmon/chicken and is it safe for cats with CKD to consume? Or is urinary kibbles more suitable for him?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Ckd is not the same as a cat having struitive crystals. It is still important to have water so if you feed dry, add water to it or Churu sticks,treats with 81%water. Salmon should only be a rare treat unless wild caught,not farm raised. At least not the first ingredient. My cats prescription food has fish in it way down the list of ingredients. I asked the company and they replied that it's a mix of both. The latest study for cats with ckd is a low protein diet low phosphorus, minimal amount of sodium,better none. Since my cat is in the beginning stages of ckd I am looking for but have not found a good food low protein,low phosphorus so she is still on Prescription food.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Omega 3 is important for cats with ckd so having fish is a plus or fish oil. But I would not feed this to her if salmon was the first ingredient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gingerboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ckd is not the same as a cat having struitive crystals. It is still important to have water so if you feed dry, add water to it or Churu sticks,treats with 81%water. Salmon should only be a rare treat unless wild caught,not farm raised. At least not the first ingredient. My cats prescription food has fish in it way down the list of ingredients. I asked the company and they replied that it's a mix of both. The latest study for cats with ckd is a low protein diet low phosphorus, minimal amount of sodium,better none. Since my cat is in the beginning stages of ckd I am looking for but have not found a good food low protein,low phosphorus so she is still on Prescription food.
Exactly, I have seen online articles about how they should have low phosphorus content too. Hmm, thanks for the insight on salmon! I didn't know that salmon shouldn't be given frequently. 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gingerboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omega 3 is important for cats with ckd so having fish is a plus or fish oil. But I would not feed this to her if salmon was the first ingredient.
Thanks for the insight! I will consider chicken then for him 👍 because he seemed to be quite picky with his food and he only likes kibbles (even if I add water in it he refused to eat 😔) so I'm thinking of getting chicken instead because they only seemed to have salmon flavour (for fish types).