Cat with arrhythmia - flying

Smirk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I am new here and would love to hear your advice and experiences related to one of the issues that I am going through right now.

I am preparing my cats to fly over from the US to Australia and am following all of the stringent requirements needed by the Australian government related to importing a live animal into the country. Two of my cats have been diagnosed with arrhythmia and the vet does not want to sign off on those two cats to fly until a cat cardiologist verifies them and gives them the stamp of approval to fly. I am going to a cardiologist with the 2 cats as directed by the vet.

Has anybody here had a similar experience and what did you do to fly your cats that had an arrhythmia? What medication was given for the flight to help them along? PLEASE ANY ADVICE IS APPRECITED. I want to move back home but am not prepared to leave my babies behind.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t advise you myself but since you are seeing a cardiologist. they should be able to provide guidance. I am thinking someone will be along with some personal experience. Sending good wishes to you and the kitties. Welcome to the site. Hoping you get good news and have a wonderful flight back home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smirk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can’t advise you myself but since you are seeing a cardiologist. they should be able to provide guidance. I am thinking someone will be along with some personal experience. Sending good wishes to you and the kitties. Welcome to the site. Hoping you get good news and have a wonderful flight back home.
Thank you, Jcatbird. I appreciate the reply. Hopefully someone can share their experience.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your kitties used to traveling in a carrier by car or in a kitty harness/backpack? Maybe some gentle conditioning would be helpful if the vet approves. Most of the rescues here went for short rides with me to get them used to things like vet visits, evacuations or other needed traveling. I once had to evacuate with 16 feral kitties! Lol Some had health conditions but not arrhythmia. Meds weren’t needed and they traveled well. We had one poop event but it was my cat Mackie who always seems to be pulling something on me. (I really think he was amused at us holding our noses! The driver nearly fainted. :lol: ) I’ll see if I can find others who may have read of something here on the site. Have you tried doing a search on the site?

Smirk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are your kitties used to traveling in a carrier by car or in a kitty harness/backpack? Maybe some gentle conditioning would be helpful if the vet approves. Most of the rescues here went for short rides with me to get them used to things like vet visits, evacuations or other needed traveling. I once had to evacuate with 16 feral kitties! Lol Some had health conditions but not arrhythmia. Meds weren’t needed and they traveled well. We had one poop event but it was my cat Mackie who always seems to be pulling something on me. (I really think he was amused at us holding our noses! The driver nearly fainted. :lol: ) I’ll see if I can find others who may have read of something here on the site. Have you tried doing a search on the site?
The two kitties with the Heart Arrhythmia hate to travel and get very anxious. The others are very chill in the carrier. Not sure how to relax the two with the problem. I am so upset that they may not be able to make it through the move overseas that I want to cry. But there is no way in hell they are staying behind. NO WAY! There must be a way to get them through this flight process. I heard the same thing that meds are not needed and if the flight personnel detect that the cats are sluggish or limp from the meds they will be kicked off the flight. You are a true angle rescuing so many cats. Well done! More people should learn from your great deeds. Mackie sounds like a trickster haha. I tried searching the site but cannot find much although I am amazed at the amount of members the site has in the thousands.... that is huge. Maybe more replies will come through.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would strongly suggest that you do not allow your cats to travel anywhere but in the cabin with you. Luggage compartments are NOT pressurized, and would cause any cardiac issues extra stress.

You might, with the cardiologist's approval, give them chamomile tea about half an hour to an hour before boarding. It does NOT sedate, it gently calms, so no sluggish, dopey cats. Just relaxed ones. Brew a cup of chamomile tea (buy the bags at your grocery store...pure chamomile, no blends), chill it in the fridge and give 3 teaspoonfuls (for cats over 10 pounds, tablespoonfuls) by mouth. I use a syringe for oral meds, but a medicine dropper will do in a pinch.

Smirk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would strongly suggest that you do not allow your cats to travel anywhere but in the cabin with you. Luggage compartments are NOT pressurized, and would cause any cardiac issues extra stress.

You might, with the cardiologist's approval, give them chamomile tea about half an hour to an hour before boarding. It does NOT sedate, it gently calms, so no sluggish, dopey cats. Just relaxed ones. Brew a cup of chamomile tea (buy the bags at your grocery store...pure chamomile, no blends), chill it in the fridge and give 3 teaspoonfuls (for cats over 10 pounds, tablespoonfuls) by mouth. I use a syringe for oral meds, but a medicine dropper will do in a pinch.
Thank you, Mamanyt1953. I had no idea that chamomile tea could be used to relax a cat. That is a really nice tip. I tried calming treats and that did absolutely nothing for their anxiety. Will try it. Much appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The results, like everything in the world, depends on the individual and their degree of anxiety. I'd go ahead and grab a box, and see how well it works (and how much it takes) before you have to go to the airport!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! I knew someone would come along! Definitely have them near you during the trip too. Sometimes just the calm we show them is calming. If we project a sense of security, they pick it up. Sending calming vibes! :vibes:
When giving calming treats, check the ingredients. Some are made of very different things. Some herbals tend to excite some and calm others. I give catnip here and some get super excited while others melt into little fur balls. Most get excited and it has a stimulant effect but every cat is different. I have had some people tell me that their cats don’t react to it at all.:dunno: Maybe the chamomile and practice some calming words while stroking in their most favorite way. On the plane the words may let them know that all is well. Who knows? They might like flying! The engine purrs! Oh! BTW, sounds of purring and a mother cat heartbeat can calm. I use the recorded sounds on nervous rescues and small kittens. It really does help. Keep us posted!