Cat Will Go To Pound If This Doesn't Stop

randomnonameuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Senior cat JUMPS out of the litter box every time, scattering litter EVERYWHERE, and head of house hold says if it doesn't stop, she goes. She is spayed, declawed, won't use a covered box, won't use ANY litter except corn cob, and the litter box MUST stay where it is.

I'm living here because this was my only option to keep her. She's not my cat, she was my father's, and he couldn't keep her anymore. I took her as a favor. I didn't have good enough credit to get a place when my father had to downsize, nor can I afford an illegally misleading "deposit" that is actually a non-refundable fee, on top of an additional monthly pet rent.

She only has the one box, because I'm not allowed to place one anywhere else. It's in the one shared bathroom, which is also the laundry room. The lease doesn't allow pets of any kind, it actually specifically discloses them, but the landlord/head of house is doing me a favor, so she legally can have the cat evicted at any time.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a bigger box? You don't want higher sides, your senior cat may have a problem with that. But a bigger tray with the same height sides should work. Giant Litter Box: Amazon.com

If that isn't allowed, not sure you have any options left.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have responsibility to clean up the scattered litter, or does head of house? I'd sure put a whisk broom and dust pan, or a dustbuster by the box and stay on top of cleaning up any tracked litter several times a day.

I also agree with trying a high-sided litter box, like a converted tote.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

randomnonameuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have responsibility to clean up the scattered litter, or does head of house? I'd sure put a whisk broom and dust pan, or a dustbuster by the box and stay on top of cleaning up any tracked litter several times a day.

I also agree with trying a high-sided litter box, like a converted tote.
I'm looking into doing that right now. She has a regular old generic cat box, which she's been using for years. She doesn't actually *need* to jump to get out, and I don't know why she randomly started doing that after we'd been here for a while.

I'm not home all the time, landlady is; I have to go to work. The land lady is old and has already slipped a few times on the scattered litter. I'm handling the house work, ALL of it, in exchange for kitty being allowed to stay.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're incredible for doing this to help that cat!!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that the diy tote works for you!
Also, if you can maybe run her by a vet, I'm wondering if something in her system has changed from the stress of all of these adjustments she's going through and causing the litter to actually stick to her feet, or she's slipping on her way out.
You could also possibly look into a calming product, there is one called calm-o-mile, or you could make some chamomile tea, from the bags, and give her some of it. Cats pick up on human stress.
Hang in there, let us know how things go!

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about a big litter mat to catch the cobs as she jumps out? That might keep them from scattering and being tripping hazards?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that reminds me, which litter is it, by the way? Could you try littermaid's ground corncob litter? It might work better, I don't know...

randomnonameuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're incredible for doing this to help that cat!!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that the diy tote works for you!
Also, if you can maybe run her by a vet, I'm wondering if something in her system has changed from the stress of all of these adjustments she's going through and causing the litter to actually stick to her feet, or she's slipping on her way out.
You could also possibly look into a calming product, there is one called calm-o-mile, or you could make some chamomile tea, from the bags, and give her some of it. Cats pick up on human stress.
Hang in there, let us know how things go!
Tracking mat doesn't help at all, since she's jumping clean over it, the vet recommended moving the box, which I can't do. The vet said that there is nothing wrong with her physically, and she already gets a fresh calming collar every month with her flea treatment. wearing the collar has made her social, friendly, and brave enough to come up and ask for attention.

We've lived here for a while now, and this behavior only just started a few weeks ago, around the same time she stopped going to her "bedroom" to hide. She's easily spooked by loud sounds 50 miles away, and her own shadow, but she always comes back when things quiet down. She used to always run to the nook to hide when spooked. We keep her food and bed in a nook in the hallway with a curtain over it. She won't use the bed anymore, but will go in there to eat. Now she prefers "hiding" in places where there is a lot of foot traffic and loud noises, places where she's going to be spooked, and thus "run off", regularly.

Nothing has been changed, except for her behavior, randomly.

randomnonameuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, that reminds me, which litter is it, by the way? Could you try littermaid's ground corncob litter? It might work better, I don't know...
She will ONLY use Dr Eisley's cat attract, or the arm in hammer naturals. Or the floor by the box if there is anything else in there.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad she's better with the collar!
But, it sounds to me like she's scared to relax in her bed and she's scared and barely able to relax in the litter box.
I don't know, I'm thinking there's something going on outside that's bothering her, that she can hear but you can't.
Anyway, can you try adding a calming diffuser in the bath room and try a calming spray on her bed, of the same brand as her collar if possible since you know that works?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if she has paw pain. De-clawed cats often do, especially as they get older. Is it possible to get x-rays done, to see if she has any arthritis in her paws?

Anyway, I hope you can figure something out. It would be a real shame to kill her for something so minor, and make no mistake, a shelter WILL kill her.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she does not have a place where she can go to, feel safe and not be afraid of what is going on around her with the humans. Does she have a cat tree, say placed in front of a window where she can climb, look out of the window at nature and the out of doors, while at the same time observing the human world from a safe place. Sounds like she needs places, retreats where she can get to and feel secure and be a "spectator" rather than always being in the "defensive mode". Would love to see a picture of her.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
are you keeping the litter box clean enough? scooping the pooh a couple times a day?

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you can move the litter box into your bedroom? I used to have my cat's litter boxes in their own room, but we had to downsize and the litter box is in my bedroom now.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not a cat whisperer, but im thinking she feels scared when using the litter box and is running from the box back to "safety".

I realize you cant move the box, but she needs to feel secure in that room.

Can you spend time in the bathroom, playing with her and giving her treats there?

She might also be jumping from the box as she thinks its dirty.

She might not like a covered box as she cant see her surroundings when in it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Senior cat JUMPS out of the litter box every time, scattering litter EVERYWHERE, and ...
..., the vet recommended moving the box, which I can't do. The vet said that there is nothing wrong with her physically, ...
Nothing has been changed, except for her behavior, randomly.
I agree with others that maybe the declawing or arthritis could be finally bugging her at this point. How "senior" a cat is she? When was her last vet visit? Maybe for you "nothing has been changed" but for her, she just keeps aging. If she hasn't had a recent vet visit, in the last 4-6 months or so, I'd schedule one for her, if it were me. And I guess that, if it were me, I wouldn't get a high-sided litter box, or at least you'd need to put a lower height "door" into such a box... an aging cat can really have problems with arthritis and pain.