Cat weeing constantly

Toria21Cooper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm posting in here seeking for advice or if anyone has gone through a similar experience with there cat. I have taken him to the vets and I am waiting for his urine sample results. But the vets seem to not be helping and I'm desperate for some help.

I adopted my cat Bubbles about 4 years ago, we found him in our garden and we took him in. He was a fully grown adult cat and I estimate him to be around 10-15 yrs old, I also believe him to be a Manx breed. (Although our vet was quick to say he wasnt even though we have been told by other vets that he is)
His problem is recently his been spraying, weeing everywhere. I mean everywhere, up the walls, furniture, bags and now today he wet himself when he was asleep. He does wee blood, it happens about once a week and he bleeds for about 10 minutes to an hour. I believe his in constant discomfort and especially in pain when he bleeds.
Im desperate for some help, at our last vet visit the vet was little to no help. She just said he could have this or it could be that. Didnt want to know anything about him bleeding. Gave him anti inflammatory medication because she believe his bladder might be inflamed. That didnt seem to help him one bit.
I'm losing my mind at the moment,I feel helpless I want to give him some relief. My home is getting ruined and I live with my grandad who has a severe lung disease and being constantly near ammonia is dangerous for him.
Please if anyone has any advice on what I can do or any similar experiences, I'd feel so grateful.

Attachments

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huh. I would think the blood in the urine would point to cystitis or something else. Did the vet try an antibiotic just in case? Bleeding for 10-60 minutes sounds extreme. I would encourage you get a second opinion, although I know this gets expensive. Wondering if maybe an ultrasound might be indicated. How is his health otherwise? What did his bloodwork reveal? How are his kidneys? Has he ever had crystals before, or a blockage? Did the vet mention this possibility?

This sounds medical to me vs behavioral, but I do have a lot of information if it does turn out to be behavioral. For now, you might try to confine him to one room and put up some tarps/pee pads/rugs to help protect your things. I'm sorry you're dealing with this! I hope the vet has more info for you soon, or that you find one who is more helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Toria21Cooper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His blood test result came back all clear. His kidneys are healthy and doesnt have diabetes. No antibiotics, a just weeks worth of anti-inflammatory medication.
With his behaviour all he does is sleep and eat. There hasn't been a change with how he acts, his never been a clingy cat or playful. Seeks attention when he wants.
I'm hoping to recieve his urine sample this week so I'm really hoping something is revealed through that otherwise I will be seeking with another vet. It's difficult because I have read into his breed having a lot of problems with there bladder but finding a vet in the UK who has knowledge about his breed is rare. I dont know his history so I ain't sure if his ever had any health problems. He did have a massive cyst removed it was the size of a golf ball last year from his shoulder. The weeing has been going on probably since we adopted him. But it was a once in a blue moon situation compared to now where his doing it 8x times a day.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site!

Blood in Urine Treatments - Cats | PetMD

I am sorry that you are facing this with your cat. Hematuria is the general name for any blood loss in urine or through the uretrha, even if to comes from another place in the body. It does not always cause discomfort, but in the case of your cat you have indicated that he is in pain.

I assume that Bubbles did use a litterbox at some time in his life. The fact that he does not now is probably because he associated the litter box with pain and hopes/assumes that if he does not urinate there the pain will not happen. I agree that this is medical and that has to be the first step in resolving this. My non professional opinion is that he needs some kind of urinalysis to determine the nature of the infection, if that is what it is, or another diagnostic that will show what is going on. He definitely needs relief from the pain. An ultrasound would be helpful as well.

Some vets start at the lowest level of treatment, hoping that it is nothing serious and thinking that they are saving the client money. Usually that does not suffice.I would try a different vet, not in the same practice, or a cat only vet. Be insistent that a solution has to be found as this is urgent for Bubbles and for your family.