Cat Water Fountain

Dags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Drinkwell, Original Fountain - 50 oz

Above is the link to the water fountain that I got.
I am new to all this 'cat' stuff so if something sounds stupid, well .... I have no excuse.

So I was at the Ren's a local pets store and saw a couple of pet water fountains one was $59.99 and the others that were there were $129.99. Before anyone says
"you get want you pay for"
I figured, why not try it and see if Zoey likes it, again I have never had one nor do I know anyone with one. Its running right now in Zoey's room.... yes she seems to have her own room, and for a little water pump is seem kinda loud. Would this be an issue for cats? I still have her water bowl set out so she has options. I may have to move the fountain it down in the kitchen as hearing this all night will bug me and the wife.
Would a noisy drinking fountain keep her from using it?
Are the higher priced ones not a loud?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
To answer (kinda) your first question - it depends on the cat. Some cats can tolerate the noise and others can't. To get a good idea of cat responses, check out the fountain's amazon reviews. Some of the cats are scared of the noise, just as you are worried about. I'm wondering if there is some variability in the fountains themselves, too. Some of the reviewers say the fountains are exceedingly loud while others say they're fairly quiet.

As for your second question, I have a different model Drinkwell Fountain and it's very quiet. The only time it makes noise is when I misalign one of the parts or when the filters get jammed with cat hair and other debris. My cats love their fountain and have never been frightened of it, even when it does get noisy. The model I have only costs $44.95 so you don't need to spend a lot of money to find a fountain that is quiet.

The more expensive models often are made of ceramic or stainless steel. If you're considering returning the one you bought, consider looking at the ceramic or stainless steel ones. Cats who drink or eat from plastic bowls are more vulnerable to chin acne than those who drink from glass, ceramic or metal bowls. This article has a lot more information on fountains: Shopping For Cat Water Fountains

Zoey sounds like a lucky kitty with a human who wants to make sure she is happy, healthy and comfortable. You should have many happy years together, cats are such wonderful companions. Since you mentioned that you are fairly new to this, here are three articles that you might find very helpful.

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat?

If you have any other questions, please just ask!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Above is the link to the water fountain that I got.
I am new to all this 'cat' stuff so if something sounds stupid, well .... I have no excuse.

So I was at the Ren's a local pets store and saw a couple of pet water fountains one was $59.99 and the others that were there were $129.99. Before anyone says
"you get want you pay for"
I figured, why not try it and see if Zoey likes it, again I have never had one nor do I know anyone with one. Its running right now in Zoey's room.... yes she seems to have her own room, and for a little water pump is seem kinda loud. Would this be an issue for cats? I still have her water bowl set out so she has options. I may have to move the fountain it down in the kitchen as hearing this all night will bug me and the wife.
Would a noisy drinking fountain keep her from using it?
Are the higher priced ones not a loud?
I have a few different water fountains, some are nosier than the others. if they are not full enough they are louder, if they are sitting on the cord wrong they are noisy. I have one that i got a plastic mat to go under, it is on carpet, and a bit noisy, the mat helped. But if it is way noisy you may want to return it, it could be a problem with the pump, i have had to return a few that the pump was way nosier than i knew it should be.

My favorite fountain right now is the Petsafe Drinkwell multi-tier dog and cat water fountain, 100 oz, i think i got it from amazon. this one is very quiet, and seems to be the all around favorite at my house.

I also have a Youthink fountain that i got from amazon, it is more of a stream of water, this one is silent, quietest one i have ever had, some of my cats like it, some don't so much, but it could be where i have it setting. or cats are just weird..lol

i have a few others but these two are my favs, for quiet and ease of cleaning.

My cats that like the fountains don't seem to be bothered by the low hum if the filter. I have a few that are basically silent, and two that hum, they don't seem to have a preference because of the noise. I do have a few cats that dont like the fountain as much, i do keep a big ceramic bowl out for them, and change the water, i use filtered fridge water, at least once per day, but i try for twice.

My 4 cats also have their own bed room, as well as the run of the rest of the house :) Welcome to all the cat stuff! They make me happy each and every day, i wish the same for you and Zoey!

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've used Drinkwell Platinum for over five years. It sounds like a regular water fountain unless the water gets too low of there somehow the prefilter or the motor gets gunked. They used to be $79.99, but Amazon has been selling them much more reasonably in the past 2 years.
Sometimes the cats drink straight from the stream, and other days they're drinking from the bowl. I found a deal for a bulk box of the carbon filters on Amazon and they're only a few dollars a piece whereas they're like $12 at Petco last time I paid any attention.

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same fountain you purchased. Charlie loves it. It only gets annoyingly noisy if the filter needs to be cleaned. I do it every other weekend. Pull it apart, use white vinegar and q-tips. Once a week I dump all the water out and start fresh. Give it a good wipe down. Daily put some fresh water in.

Now you may have to clean it less. Charlie drinks from the spout but uses the bowl for face washing. Paws go in and then he washes his face. It’s adorable but does tend to get things a bit hairy. :lovecat2:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a few different water fountains, some are nosier than the others. if they are not full enough they are louder, if they are sitting on the cord wrong they are noisy. I have one that i got a plastic mat to go under, it is on carpet, and a bit noisy, the mat helped. But if it is way noisy you may want to return it, it could be a problem with the pump, i have had to return a few that the pump was way nosier than i knew it should be.

An anti-vibration mat or scrap piece of carpet remnant or squishy thick foam may help soften any noise. Water fountains do make noise. How loud depends on the brand. I had a Drinkwell before and it hummed, kind of like an aquarium air pump. It wasn't annoying.

Water fountains have to be taken apart and cleaned at least weekly. Slimy black mold may form:barfgreen: Many brands can be taken apart and put into the dishwasher or hand washed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took back that one and got a new one
PetSafe® Drinkwell® Seascape Pet Fountain
its like this one but the middle part is more square, and the water free falls into the bowl. Its WAY!! quitter then the other one and its made from Ceramic.
I haven't seen her use it yet but time will tell.

Thanks for all the insight, everyone

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
let us know if you like it after a bit of use. I have seen that one and thought about it, but i don't have it yet :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
let us know if you like it after a bit of use. I have seen that one and thought about it, but i don't have it yet :)
We'll do.....what a good review time, a few weeks ?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We'll do.....what a good review time, a few weeks ?
i would think a few weeks would be good, give you time to see how the cat likes it, is it quiet, is it easy to clean, all that stuff :) hope it works well for you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also post your review here on TCS in the Reviews section :) You'll need to contact a moderator so a review page can be set up.