Cat Was Attacked By A Dog, How Can I Find Him?

Bamboogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few weeks ago some friends came over to our house and brought their husky and she attacked our cat. He ran away but came home later that night and was ok apart from a tooth mark on his leg. The owner felt very guilty and said she wouldn't bring her dog over again. But she did yesterday. We told her to tie the dog up (which she did) but she gave her a very long rope, and the dog managed to attack another one of our cats. (We have three) He ran away and we haven't seen him since. The dog owner felt very guilty again and I told her not to worry, but inside I was very angry at her. Anyway - the point of this thread is so I can ask two questions:
1- Is it justified that I feel angry at the dog owner?
2- Any tips on how to find my cat/know if he is OK? He sometimes leaves for a few days and always comes home, but obviously this time is different.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think you are justified in being angry. You asked that they not bring the dog again and they still did it and that was wrong especially after what happened the first time. You should check with any local vets and animal shelters to see if your cat has been picked up, you can also try contacting other neighbors in case they have seen him. Is your cat chipped?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are incredibly justified at feeling angry about this. You requested that the dog not come back to your house after your one cat was attacked. He was brought back, improperly restrained, and attacked again. You would be justified in contacting animal control, although since the dog belongs to friends, it might not be the wisest course of action. If your friend brings this dog over a third time (and it seems she might), insist that the dog be left in the car. Or they can stay in the car with the dog. Period. Your cats should not have to fear being mauled by a visiting animal.

Now, as to what you can do to try and find your cat...flyers in the neighborhood. And since your cats are outdoor or indoor/outdoor, be aware that their home range is larger than you might expect. While their actual territory may only be your house and yard (and maybe the neighbor's yards), their home range may be as much as half a mile in all directions from your home. Expand your search to include that distance. Leave his food out for him. When searching, remember that cats are crepuscular, most active at dusk and pre-dawn, the "twilight" hours at the beginning and end of the day. Take a flashlight out with you to help you see eye shine. Look in small, dark places, and up high. As Kitty Mommy Kitty Mommy suggested, be sure to call animal control, local shelters and rescues, and local vets. If your cats are chipped, check with the chipping company and make sure your data is up-to-date. A changed phone number is useless to a lost cat. If your cats have a litter box or two, set one out at night. That is a scent that ALL cats know as their own! If you see your cat but are unable to secure him, contact local shelters and rescues to request the loan of a humane trap, and bait it with something stinky.

And let us know what happens. We will be worrying about this.