Cat vs. Dog Food

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. I've seen in the past someone here has recommended a specific dog brand that comes in larger cans because it has the same exact ingredients as the cat version, but would be cheaper to buy in the larger dog cans. I was wondering what the consensus is on this as I worry the vitamin, etc. content may be different compared to cat and dog needs so maybe it is not recommended? There is a great deal on Hounds and Gatos large cans of dog food on Chewy, and was wondering if it would be safe to feed cats, or if I should just stick with the labeled for cats food to be safe. Thank you for your thoughts!

Here are the 2 specifically at reduced prices today:

Hound & Gatos 98% Salmon & Lamb Liver Grain-Free Canned Dog Food, 13-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com

Hound & Gatos 98% Pork & Liver Grain-Free Canned Dog Food, 13-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That only applies to certain foods that use the same formulation for cats and dogs. I don't think Hounds and Gatos is one of them. Anyway I don't see taurine on the ingedient list so probably not.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That only applies to certain foods that use the same formulation for cats and dogs. I don't think Hounds and Gatos is one of them. Anyway I don't see taurine on the ingedient list so probably not.
I think the only one that was compared side by side and was found to be the same was Instinct. I don't know if that is still the case though. The big difference would be in the amount of taurine added. I personally would not take the chance. The small amount saved up front could lead to health problems and medical bills down the road. Not worth the risk IMO.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs can also handle a lot more fat and carbs than cats. So besides the taurine issue (which is a huge issue), there is also the nutrient composition. Cat food is sometimes actually more expensive because it is higher in animal protein. I wouldn’t risk it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the only one that was compared side by side and was found to be the same was Instinct. I don't know if that is still the case though. The big difference would be in the amount of taurine added. I personally would not take the chance. The small amount saved up front could lead to health problems and medical bills down the road. Not worth the risk IMO.
Yes, that's the one I remember reading about. And that was my main worry, if the nutrients wouldn't be at the same level for what cats need. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Confirmed my suspicions!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had to add taurine to the food of a very old feral once....not fun or easy. I would not go with any suspicious nutritional requirements in cat food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nature's Variety Instinct Original uses the same formula for both the dog and cat cans. I don't know about Hounds and Gatos and other brands.