Cat vomits multiple times a day

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has always been a puker but lately has has been vomiting 3-4 times a day. It can be foamy bile or food. He is 15 with ckd. We took him to the vet a few days ago and they did blood work and xrays. His kidney values show his ckd is progressing but his phosphorous levels, which cause nausea, were ok. Xrays showed no obstructions etc but vet said he had gritty material in stomach ( we assume dissolved dry food). I feel so bad everytime he starts puking. We upped his transdermal Cerenia to help with nausea but it doesnt seem to help and he is losing weight. Does anyone have any experience with puking cats?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear your cat is getting sick so much. Uremic acid build up in CKD cats can also cause nausea/vomiting. Indicators of this can be reflected in his creatinine and BUN levels. Did the vet give your cat sub-Q fluids? Sometimes that will help with nausea - and is likely to be needed, given the odds are that your cat is dehydrated from all the vomiting, and might have even been a bit dehydrated before that. It might also help to 'jump-start' the anti-nausea transdermal treatment with an anti-nausea injection as well.

Have you checked out the felinecrf web site? Here is a link to the section about all the possible reasons for nausea and vomiting, in case you haven't already read this information.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Appetite Loss, Nausea and Vomiting (felinecrf.org)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to hear your cat is getting sick so much. Uremic acid build up in CKD cats can also cause nausea/vomiting. Indicators of this can be reflected in his creatinine and BUN levels. Did the vet give your cat sub-Q fluids? Sometimes that will help with nausea - and is likely to be needed, given the odds are that your cat is dehydrated from all the vomiting, and might have even been a bit dehydrated before that. It might also help to 'jump-start' the anti-nausea transdermal treatment with an anti-nausea injection as well.

Have you checked out the felinecrf web site? Here is a link to the section about all the possible reasons for nausea and vomiting, in case you haven't already read this information.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Appetite Loss, Nausea and Vomiting (felinecrf.org)

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. Yes he got fluids and a cerenia shot and was good for 2 days but has been vomiting again. I will revist Tanya’s site to see if there is anything helpful.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the info. Yes he got fluids and a cerenia shot and was good for 2 days but has been vomiting again. I will revist Tanya’s site to see if there is anything helpful.
Depending on his numbers, he might need sub-Q fluids perhaps every other day - check with your vet about doing sub-Q at home. I haven't done it (it will likely be in my future), but everyone on here says it is pretty easy to do - of course, as with anything new, there is a bit of a learning curve.

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depending on his numbers, he might need sub-Q fluids perhaps every other day - check with your vet about doing sub-Q at home. I haven't done it (it will likely be in my future), but everyone on here says it is pretty easy to do - of course, as with anything new, there is a bit of a learning curve.

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet didnt think at home subq was necessary now but seeing how he was doing well after his visit with fluids, I thinks its time. We have experience doing it in past. Not sure how this cat will be with doing it.

duck13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One simple thing that frequently helps is raising the food bowl. I've had 2 kitties prone to vomiting, both stopped almost completely when I moved the dish up several inches-

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I did that a while ago but didn’t seem to help. Thanks!