Cat vomiting from dry cat food

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a little background about my cat. Missy is about 3 years. Had to have 7 teeth removed back in 2020; started pooping in front of her litterbox. Also at one point of time; we thought she had some sort of GI cancer; because her calcium levels were unusually high in 2019. It was the dry cat food and she's fine. I have switched dry cat food since then. I

I feed American Journey No-Grain dry cat food and Fancy Feast to both my cats.

Fast forward to the last month; she has been throwing up at least twice a week after eating the dry cat food. My male cat eats the same food and is fine. I removed the dry cat food. But is there anything more I should be doing?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You fee dry only? Is there some reason for that? If the Fancy Feast is also dry, I would say to try to transition to wet food, or at least some wet food. Has the pooping outside the box stopped? Cats with less teeth can definitely manage dry food, but I wonder if she is not able to chew easily and that is related to the vomiting.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since Molly is fairly young, it would seem safe to 'test' to see if this might just be an allergy that she has developed to something in the dry cat food that you just stopped feeding her. I would wait and see if that stops the vomiting. It shouldn't take but a few days for it to clear and for her digestive tract to settle if the food is the culprit.

The next thing to do is have her teeth checked again to make sure she is not having additional dental issues, since she has lost so many teeth at such a young age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You fee dry only? Is there some reason for that? If the Fancy Feast is also dry, I would say to try to transition to wet food, or at least some wet food. Has the pooping outside the box stopped? Cats with less teeth can definitely manage dry food, but I wonder if she is not able to chew easily and that is related to the vomiting.
I feed wet and dry cat food. The wet food is Fancy Feast. No she still poops outside of the litterbox; I think it's more behavioral as she never done that before. (She had 7 teeth removed and that may have triggered the behavior).

This issue started happening for the last few months. Initially, she didn't have this problem.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I realize every cat is different but our guy has had all his teeth removed except one in two separate dental surgeries and he uses the litterbox with no problem so it may not necessarily be the teeth extractions causing your cat's issue. He also gets dry as a snack and has no difficulty eating or vomiting. How many litterboxes do you have? The rule of thumb is one more box than the number of cats so if you have 2 cats you should have 3 litterboxes. This may help solve the problem or you may need to check with your vet if Missy needs to be seen for an exam. I hope Missy feels better soon and you find out what's causing her problem. :crossfingers:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat who will poop outside the litter box if it's not clean, so we scoop at least twice a day. We also have multiple litter boxes. Some kitties don't like to poop and pee in the same box.

The vomiting could be from eating too fast or overeating. Did you change dry food brands before this started or did you open a new bag?