Cat - vomiting, diarrhea, strong urination, abdominal pain - Concerns of life-threatening illness

actualhumanpotato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 year old DSH, Grumpy Gus (not his real name, but it's fitting these days :lol2:), has had some issues with watery diarrhea and vomiting since finishing a 10-day course of Clavamox for a herpesvirus-induced URI. He has had this medication about two years ago with no issues, but this time, it seems to have set his GI tract off something fierce. My vet told me to increase his probiotic from once a day to twice a day, and add in Cerenia and Prilosec once day to help with the vomiting and acid production, which we've been doing for nearly five days now. He hasn't thrown up, praise the lord, but he's still got really loose stools, is increasingly gassy, grumpy about being picked up like his stomach is causing him some discomfort, and will lick his lips after he meows like he'd throw up if not for the cerenia preventing it. Prior to all of this, he had been losing slight amount of weight (think he went from something like 8.7 to 8.3 in a couple week time period) and the vet said if he loses any more weight, we'd need to take action. I'd also noticed that while he isn't urinating more than normal in terms of frequency, it DOES seem to be a strong stream when he does go to the point that it sometimes sprays outside of his enclosed litterbox (I do not think he is doing this on purpose; He just seems to pee high, which was the reason for getting an enclosed litterbox in the first place, to keep him from inadvertently peeing on the walls or carpet. This litterbox from Chewy is the one that we've been using)

The longer this goes on, the more symptoms develop and the more I grow concerned that this isn't as simple as just having an irritated GI tract from the Clavamox. My boyfriend lost his job when our region shut down from the pandemic back in April and I am disabled with our only income right now being my meager disability payments - We just can't afford extensive treatments for Grumpy Gus right now beyond some basic testing like blood work or urine testing.

Do any of you have an idea of what this might be? I'm terrified it'll be something like Lymphoma or cancer of some kind that will end with us having to put Grumpy Gus down because we just can't afford extensive treatment (and I don't want him to be in pain, or get shipped off to a shelter or rescue where he'd likely wind up euthanized anyway). The soonest we'd be able to get him in to the vet for blood work is Monday.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just don't know. Not being a vet, and not seeing the cat in person, I won't even hazard a guess. Well...I have several guesses from a newly-developed food allergy all the way up to lymphoma, and no way in the world to know which it might be. Get the blood work done, and do the best you can from there. It is ALL you can do.

Meanwhile, I'm lighting a candle for your baby. It is all I can do.
00LitCandle.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There are situations where one antibiotic can be 'overused' causing a somewhat 'allergic' reaction to it, as well as not being as effective. How that ties with urine, I am not sure. But, if he is not feeling well, he may be holding off going to the litter box as often, hence the larger amount of pee each time he does go.

Herpes flare-ups can also be helped through the use of anti-viral meds, not just antibiotics. The antibiotics are used when secondary infections set in due to the herpes, but they won't help with flare-up overall as they are viral related.

Getting the basic tests - blood work, urinalysis, and fecal PCR is a good start. It might even shed enough light on the situation that further testing wouldn't be needed. He is too young to continue to let these issues go on without seeing if you can find some indicators to specific issues. While not unheard of, cancer is probably - at this point - far down on the list. The longer it goes on, the more costly it could become - as, in any case, the earlier something is detected the easier it is to treat.

Would your vet consider allowing you a payment plan, so that you don't have to pay for everything at once? Carecredit.com is perhaps another option for extending immediate payment into installments. Maybe look into some options in this article?
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles