Cat vomiting after pooping

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So while I have been to the vet for this we are currently in a “wait and see what happens” stretch so I wanted to post this here to see if anyone else has experience with this firsthand.

About a month ago I noticed my cat had vomited near his litter box and I thought it was just a hair ball, but then I noticed he was doing it only after pooping. He is not pooping up food or doing it right after eating, only after a poop. And it was quite sporadic, maybe every 2nd or 3rd poop would he do it. At this point all of his poops were hard so the thought was constipated cat. Also he has no history of vomiting.

After a week I brought him to the vet, which he has now been to twice. They did X rays and blood work all of which came back normal. Physical exam also normal. Interestingly, he did not vomit for about a week, then started having diarrhea and vomiting after. And that has now been going on for about a week with 2-3 days in between vomits. But a week of diarrhea at this point after a few weeks of solid logs and vomiting after.

Vet asked about his food and I said he’s been on the same one for 2 years but lately he hasn’t seemed too excited to eat it. Seems a lot of formulations have changed so vet said let’s try changing food and see what happens. I’m currently changing him over and will see, but still seems weird only vomiting after pooping. Log poops for a few weeks and now diarrhea. Vet said if food change doesn’t help will do ultrasound.

He is acting normal besides for this. Eating normally, wanting to play, etc. anyone have any thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I've been trying to find a recent thread about a similar situation.

In any case, it sounds like your vet is working to determine what's happening - was there any discussion of PEG3350/Miralax for when he's constipated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I've been trying to find a recent thread about a similar situation.

In any case, it sounds like your vet is working to determine what's happening - was there any discussion of PEG3350/Miralax for when he's constipated?
There hasn’t because it turns out he wasn’t constipated, that was jus the first assumption I made when he first started vomiting after pooping and he was pooping solid logs at the time. Athis physical exam the vet said he isn’t constipated and since his poops have now turned to diarrhea and he is still vomiting after pooping at times that further rules that out

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did your cat have any subcutaneous fluids given at the vet office the first time with the vomiting, which may have helped the stools move? Diarrhea is actually a symptom of constipation, because impacted stools are only letting liquid poop pass through. Was there an x-ray taken of the colon? It still seems to me that your cat was dehydrated and therefore constipated, straining so much to poop that he vomited, and is now back to a constipated state. Plus the vomiting would only make his dehydration worse so it's a vicious cycle. If nothing else, please try to get your cat well hydrated and I hope he feels better soon.

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As an update he’s back at the vet and getting an ultrasound today

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did your cat have any subcutaneous fluids given at the vet office the first time with the vomiting, which may have helped the stools move? Diarrhea is actually a symptom of constipation, because impacted stools are only letting liquid poop pass through. Was there an x-ray taken of the colon? It still seems to me that your cat was dehydrated and therefore constipated, straining so much to poop that he vomited, and is now back to a constipated state. Plus the vomiting would only make his dehydration worse so it's a vicious cycle. If nothing else, please try to get your cat well hydrated and I hope he feels better soon.
They didn’t give him any fluids however they did give him an upper respiratory vaccine that day.

Things took a bad turn yesterday with him pooping like 10 times with blood in his diarrhea. He must have been getting dehydrated because he started drinking a lot more water than normal. By the time I brought him back to the vet this morning he had stopped pooping as much.

Got a call from the vet this afternoon and he said his physical exam was okay and he’s not dehydrated, but that he would like to do an ultrasound which is scheduled for tomorrow. I had brought stool samples in but when asked the vet didn’t feel pursuing that was of interest currently. Been a bit frustrated to be honest this vet used to be very good but he’s seemed pretty disinterested in getting to the root cause of this even the ultrasound I had to kind of push for. Same with blood work last week (which all came back normal)

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi S Serenityinaz12 I'm sorry the vet seems to be disengaged from the diagnosis process. There isn't by any chance a different vet or a referral service near you that you could take your cat too, is there? I know those aren't always options now especially since many places aren't accepting new patients or are booked months in advance. But obviously you and your kitty are having a hard time and the treatments aren't doing the trick. Even if the vet says the kitty isn't dehydrated, I would still ask him to give your cat some subcutaneous fluids, like 100 mL worth which isn't a lot. With all the diarrhea happening, the kitty is losing water and probably just not feeling awesome. Are his gums sticky and tacky, by any chance? That's a sign he's dehydrated too. With diarrhea like this, sometimes vets will prescribe metronidazole (Flagyl) for a short time. Especially if the ultrasound shows inflammation or IBD, I'd ask the vet for this if your cat's liver or kidneys are okay. Definitely maintaining good hydration is really important for your kitty, and I hope the ultrasound goes smoothly and leads to effective treatment.

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi S Serenityinaz12 I'm sorry the vet seems to be disengaged from the diagnosis process. There isn't by any chance a different vet or a referral service near you that you could take your cat too, is there? I know those aren't always options now especially since many places aren't accepting new patients or are booked months in advance. But obviously you and your kitty are having a hard time and the treatments aren't doing the trick. Even if the vet says the kitty isn't dehydrated, I would still ask him to give your cat some subcutaneous fluids, like 100 mL worth which isn't a lot. With all the diarrhea happening, the kitty is losing water and probably just not feeling awesome. Are his gums sticky and tacky, by any chance? That's a sign he's dehydrated too. With diarrhea like this, sometimes vets will prescribe metronidazole (Flagyl) for a short time. Especially if the ultrasound shows inflammation or IBD, I'd ask the vet for this if your cat's liver or kidneys are okay. Definitely maintaining good hydration is really important for your kitty, and I hope the ultrasound goes smoothly and leads to effective treatment.
I appreciate the reply. He ended up being diagnosed with IBD but I did not get a chance to read this beforehand. He put him on an anti-nausea medication and prednisolone. I have to followup in 3 weeks. He seems to be doing much better so far and hasn’t vomited. Since being home he has pooped once which was a mushy diarrhea but that’s better than 10 times before I took him in. On a very positive note my fears of pilling him have been laid to rest as simply hiding them in his food worked even better than I had hoped.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I appreciate the reply. He ended up being diagnosed with IBD but I did not get a chance to read this beforehand. He put him on an anti-nausea medication and prednisolone. I have to followup in 3 weeks. He seems to be doing much better so far and hasn’t vomited. Since being home he has pooped once which was a mushy diarrhea but that’s better than 10 times before I took him in. On a very positive note my fears of pilling him have been laid to rest as simply hiding them in his food worked even better than I had hoped.
That's a very positive development for the pilling and a diagnosis! Now that he's got the IBD diagnosis I hope the treatment plan and any diet changes work to help your kitty get back to normal!