Cat Vomited On Blanket Chest

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this belongs somewhere else, could a moderator please whoosh it over.

Last night one or another of the cats vomited on a blanket chest, on the hinged lid that lifts up, and fortunately nothing dripped inside.. By the time I found it this morning the wood is damp and discolored (older piece, not polyurethane finish.)

Any suggestions? Clean the entire top with Murphy's oil soap? Mix up the antique finish cleaner of turpentine and boiled linseed oil? After cleaning use beeswax+mineral spirits furniture wax?
Or?

TIA for your suggestions.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My first question would be what type of wood is it and what type of finish, if any? The vomit most likely ate through the wood due to the acid in it. Perhaps you could call a furniture or home store, give them the details about the wood, etc. and ask their advice.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that mayonnaise will take scratches, even deep ones off of wood furniture and even the cheap doors houses come with. Won't work if painted but does work if varnished. Just slather it on thick and lock kit out of the room. Let it sit over night then wipe off with paper towels. I don't know if it will work with vomit, but it's cheap and worth a try. Can be the cheapest mayo out there, but whatever you have on hand will do. Sometimes it takes more than one treatment.

I used it on the scratches the 50lb dog put in the door, which are some the cat wanted to attempt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. The wood looks discolored where the vomit was, not scratched. Think I'll try re-cleaning, only over the entire surface, then use the beeswax / mineral oil. Will report back.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if you look at scratches you'll see that wood appears discolored. the scratches actually take off a layer of the varnish. I don't know why it evens the color for scratches, I don't know if it will work in your case or not. Let us know if the beeswax helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did not use hydrogen peroxide. Basically a bleaching agent. Excellent for removing blood stains from fabric but my problem is that the stomach acid in the cat's vomit has already slightly bleached the wood.

I applied a thin coat of the oil I use for my butcher block to the entire surface of the blanket chest. Have left it to sink in - it has "dimmed" the appearance of the bleached area but not made it disappear. After waiting several hours I will apply the beeswax finish I make up - beeswax, paraffin (the cake type used in ages past to seal jelly jars, not UK paraffin), refined mineral oil. Stay tuned for future developments.