Cat urine behaviour

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow it’s been a while I forgot about this forum.
So Rory is now almost 4 and is actually quite a big boy and is currently considered overweight for his age. We’re working on that!
As of lately, Rory has been acting very strange. We have been providing him with lots of indoor stimulation to keep him going. For some reason he is having a hard time going to pee. I brought him into the vet as after he hops out of his litter box with no luck peeing, he will cry (howl meow) and shows signs of discomfort. He is also always cleaning himself down there, especially after he tries to pee. I sent a pee sample and haven’t heard from the vet yet. He has now found his “spot” on the main floor where he tend to go pee when going to his litter box doesn’t work in his favour. His litter box is fully cleaned, but yet he keeps going to visit it with no luck. :( I have been provided with anti-inflammatory medication and just gave him his second dose since his last appointment with the vet which was two weeks ago. Please tell me what I should do, which diet food is recommended and any drops to add to his routine.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to be on a good quality all wet food diet, high protein, low carbs. Where are you located? I could try to suggest some. Urinary cats should never be on kibble. It’s also good to limit fish. Until you get results back, it’s hard to know what else to do, but reducing his stress levels in any way possible may be beneficial in case he has FIC.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think you need to wait until you get the results back so that you know what you are dealing with and can then plan accordingly. If all turns out OK, then it would seem to point to FIC. And, since he was given an anti-inflammatory it sounds like the vet may already consider this to be his issue. However, there are times this condition can lead to an infection and if that were the case, he might need antibiotics as well. But, anti-inflammatories are usually given multiple days in a row and are not going to be effective if only randomly administered. Btw, cats who go outside the litter box are associating their discomfort with the box and not the act of trying to pee.

Also, please ask for a copy of the test results so you can learn to understand what all the terminology and ranges mean. When the vet calls with the results, take down notes, then ask for a copy and once you get it compare the notes you took to the results - it will help to clarify things for you as well as point out what additional information you may need to pursue with the vet.

Also, you will need to purchase an enzymatic cleaner to remove his urine scent from the place he is currently using to help prevent him from going there again and again - most importantly after his issue has been medically treated and hopefully resolved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He needs to be on a good quality all wet food diet, high protein, low carbs. Where are you located? I could try to suggest some. Urinary cats should never be on kibble. It’s also good to limit fish. Until you get results back, it’s hard to know what else to do, but reducing his stress levels in any way possible may be beneficial in case he has FIC.

[/URL]
I am located in Canada! They said it could be crystals and I sent the urine test but no results yet! It’s been since the end of April... they said it would help him to be on good wet food specifically associated with a urinary formula, but they didn’t say to stop feeding him dry. I know that dry food isn’t the best for them especially if they are having any urinate type related issues. Please anything will help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I sent a urine sample in but that was at the end of April, and still no results...
Holy cow!!! Did you ask them why the results are taking so long? Maybe they've been lost in the shuffle and someone needs to go looking for them? A cleaner, more conclusive testing is done when the vet collect the urine themselves. What you sent in may be inconclusive due to 'outside' bacteria contaminating it (very common), but someone should have told you that by now.

You can feed him some dry - a urinary care version - if he is more inclined to eat dry. You can also crumble up some of the dry onto the canned version as a topper. Using the 'juice' from canned tuna in water is also acceptable to help him get more moisture. Adding it to his canned food or even some water. There are bone broths made for pets that don't contain the standard sodium that human versions do. They could be used as a topper as well.

I don't know about in Canada, but here in the US there is Hill's C/D and Royal Canin SO, but they require a prescription. There is also Purina urinary care foods that I don't think needs a prescription; if you can find it you might try it. I think Wysong has both dry and canned urinary care foods that don't require a prescription either. Tbh, any canned food is better than dry. But, you could add some urinary care dry food to help out.

Last edited:

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I think you need to wait until you get the results back so that you know what you are dealing with and can then plan accordingly. If all turns out OK, then it would seem to point to FIC. And, since he was given an anti-inflammatory it sounds like the vet may already consider this to be his issue. However, there are times this condition can lead to an infection and if that were the case, he might need antibiotics as well. But, anti-inflammatories are usually given multiple days in a row and are not going to be effective if only randomly administered. Btw, cats who go outside the litter box are associating their discomfort with the box and not the act of trying to pee.

Also, please ask for a copy of the test results so you can learn to understand what all the terminology and ranges mean. When the vet calls with the results, take down notes, then ask for a copy and once you get it compare the notes you took to the results - it will help to clarify things for you as well as point out what additional information you may need to pursue with the vet.

Also, you will need to purchase an enzymatic cleaner to remove his urine scent from the place he is currently using to help prevent him from going there again and again - most importantly after his issue has been medically treated and hopefully resolved.
Thank you very much for your reply! As for his litter box, the reason I don’t think it’s his litter box is because he will go to his litter box first and then nothing comes out, and he meows a lot. Then he goes elsewhere and sometimes he will stand there for 5-10 minute trying and sometimes there’s pee and sometimes there’s not. It’s very strange... Thanks for the good tips!!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Different ways for your cat to drink more

Squeeze out tuna can to make cubes and put in a bowl or add 2-3 cups water and refrigerate
Bowls in various places and different bowls
Fountains so they can hear the water
Broth from chicken in a slow cooker, no salt

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

UPDATE
I brought him to the vet and they said he needed to go to the emergency immediately. He actually had a blockage and I’ve been crying all night. :( he’s going to be staying there for 36-48 hours for the procedure and being with a catheter. I’m so sad and upset that the whole time I was waiting for his results that it was actually getting worse.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE
I brought him to the vet and they said he needed to go to the emergency immediately. He actually had a blockage and I’ve been crying all night. :( he’s going to be staying there for 36-48 hours for the procedure and being with a catheter. I’m so sad and upset that the whole time I was waiting for his results that it was actually getting worse.
He will feel better when he comes home. He is lucky he has someone to care for him