Cat Urination

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year 2 months tom cat used to pee 2-3 times a day previously. But recently , from January I've observed that he is peeing once everyday in quite an adequate amount. Also along with that he is spraying once or twice everyday. I'll get him neutered this month but before that I needed to confirm if your cat peeing once everyday normal ? Or it might be indicative of an issue ? Apart from that , his appetite is pretty impressive and he is also very playful .

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ayou amy want to get him neutered ASAP, once they start spraying it is very difficult to get them to stop. The 'spraying' is actually releasing urine too, so he sounds like he is urinating enough. Tom cat spary si VERY offensive. Once he si neutered it won't smell as bad. He will start roaming and running away too, looking for females if you don't get him neutered, plus get aggressive.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My 1 year 2 months tom cat used to pee 2-3 times a day previously. But recently , from January I've observed that he is peeing once everyday in quite an adequate amount. Also along with that he is spraying once or twice everyday. I'll get him neutered this month but before that I needed to confirm if your cat peeing once everyday normal ? Or it might be indicative of an issue ? Apart from that , his appetite is pretty impressive and he is also very playful .
Yes, I agree that you have your cat neutered ASAP.

As for the urination, if your cat drinks a lot or is very hydrated, he may pee more than once a day and on top of that, your cat is very young as he is only a year and two months and his pee control is not up to strength yet and therefore he pees 2-3 times away. Once he has a stronger bladder, he'll tend to hold urine for a longer time before he pees. And again, if he drinks a lot, he may pee more than once a day.

Just keep an eye on him when he pee if you can. What you want to try to hear is the sound of pee gushing out while peeing as this is to make sure that he is not blocked, no UTI. Male cats are very prone to UTI. Please keep him hydrated all the time.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Typically adults will urinate 2to 5 times daily ( 24hr period)..... So if you are saying once every 24hrs then that does not sound sufficient BUT more importantly is that something has changed - you mentioned he was urinating more frequently and that changed very recently - since this change has occurred after he is one yr old ( an adult);I would mention this to your Vet as it could indicate something underlying,the sooner ' anything " is recognized it can be addressed before it becomes a bigger issue,if in fact it is something that could be prevented in many cases

Yes indeed,kittens urinate with more frequency ,especially since they are so very active....your boy is still young,a young adult so really he should be going at least twice in a 24hr period and eliminating feces once with thst period

Being he is a spraying Tom can also be the reason for the change( as tabbytom tabbytom already mentioned) since he is releasing urine everytime he sprays- still worth mentioning to a Vet imo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ayou amy want to get him neutered ASAP, once they start spraying it is very difficult to get them to stop. The 'spraying' is actually releasing urine too, so he sounds like he is urinating enough. Tom cat spary si VERY offensive. Once he si neutered it won't smell as bad. He will start roaming and running away too, looking for females if you don't get him neutered, plus get aggressive.
Thank you. Ans actually yes , he is tending to go outside and look for females , haa become quite desperate and its been a week he is spaying so I'll get him neutered by next week orelse its gonna be way too late.

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I agree that you have your cat neutered ASAP.

As for the urination, if your cat drinks a lot or is very hydrated, he may pee more than once a day and on top of that, your cat is very young as he is only a year and two months and his pee control is not up to strength yet and therefore he pees 2-3 times away. Once he has a stronger bladder, he'll tend to hold urine for a longer time before he pees. And again, if he drinks a lot, he may pee more than once a day.

Just keep an eye on him when he pee if you can. What you want to try to hear is the sound of pee gushing out while peeing as this is to make sure that he is not blocked, no UTI. Male cats are very prone to UTI. Please keep him hydrated all the time.
Thanks a lot . I think you are right. Previously he used to pee twice-thrice a day but not given tge spraying (for which I actually need to spay him asap) he is peeing once but in quite an amount. As you said there's a gush. He had signs of UTI last month and his treatment was going on and by now fortunately the symptoms have all subsided and he's doing quite well except he is peeing once every day . My vet said it might be behavioural change because of being unneutered and top of that been recovered from UTI recently. So I guess now its time to spay him asap. He generally drinks water 3-4times a day though.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Ans actually yes , he is tending to go outside and look for females , haa become quite desperate and its been a week he is spaying so I'll get him neutered by next week orelse its gonna be way too late.
It's never too late - I nuetered my Tom ( breeder) when he was around 8 yrs old

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Typically adults will urinate 2to 5 times daily ( 24hr period)..... So if you are saying once every 24hrs then that does not sound sufficient BUT more importantly is that something has changed - you mentioned he was urinating more frequently and that changed very recently - since this change has occurred after he is one yr old ( an adult);I would mention this to your Vet as it could indicate something underlying,the sooner ' anything " is recognized it can be addressed before it becomes a bigger issue,if in fact it is something that could be prevented in many cases

Yes indeed,kittens urinate with more frequency ,especially since they are so very active....your boy is still young,a young adult so really he should be going at least twice in a 24hr period and eliminating feces once with thst period

Being he is a spraying Tom can also be the reason for the change( as tabbytom tabbytom already mentioned) since he is releasing urine everytime he sprays- still worth mentioning to a Vet imo
Actually a few weeks ago I did consult with a vet due to some symptoms that my cat was showing and its was possibly UTI. So he was on a few medications and now the symptoms have all subsided and there's a change that he is peeing in the litter box once every day in quite an amount . Previously he used to refuse to pee in the litter box , straining and peeing in little droplets. After treatment , all those symptoms have gone and now he is peeing once as I mentioned but he is also spaying along. Another vet I consulted because of this (cuz the one i consulted before was unavailable) thinks this change can be due to not being neutered. Also he drinks water 3-4 times a day.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually a few weeks ago I did consult with a vet due to some symptoms that my cat was showing and its was possibly UTI. So he was on a few medications and now the symptoms have all subsided and there's a change that he is peeing in the litter box once every day in quite an amount . Previously he used to refuse to pee in the litter box , straining and peeing in little droplets. After treatment , all those symptoms have gone and now he is peeing once as I mentioned but he is also spaying along. Another vet I consulted because of this (cuz the one i consulted before was unavailable) thinks this change can be due to not being neutered. Also he drinks water 3-4 times a day.
As I mentioned - what do you mean" per day" probably 12-14 hrs? Or 24 hrs? Be sure to tell s Vet if it is ONLY once every 24 hrs,see what I'm saying?

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I mentioned - what do you mean" per day" probably 12-14 hrs? Or 24 hrs? Be sure to tell s Vet if it is ONLY once every 24 hrs,see what I'm saying?
Yes I understand. Its once in 24hrs excluding the spraying.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot 💗
Oh you're very welcome,I did not
want you to put so much pressure on yourself and worry unnecessarily - we have enough we worry about being pet parents as it is- lol

It's not like he's an outside cat adding to the homeless population- of course the sooner the better for the sake of spraying & everything else like di and bob di and bob did mention but no,it's never too late

Now remember also that once Tom( what's your boys name btw?) Is nuetered hell still have lots of testosterone and it may take awhile for his hormones to quiet down.... But they will and you will see a significant difference given a little time 👍