Cat urinating alot and outside litter box

jimbo179

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi last few weeks my cat has been urinating outside the litter box and on sheets and towls on the floor, but still does dropping in the litter tray, l also noticed she is urinating more often sometimes a few times within 5 minutes . Other cats also use the litter box. What l was wondering could it be a health problem such as infection or liver that l need to take her to the vet for or is it a behavioral probelm , Apart from the unrine probelms she is eating , drinking and seems normal

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is your cat, just for reference? Very well could be a urinary infection, more so than a liver issue. A lot of cats who experience discomfort from peeing will pee outside the litter box but still poop in it. They associate the discomfort with the box, and not their own body. Best bet is to take her to the vet and have urine drawn from her bladder for a urinalysis. Most vets don't require a vet appt for this, unless you have not had her to the vet in the recent past. Just call your vet and ask about such an arrangement. In my vet's office I can take my cat in and within 15 or so minutes, a vet tech can draw urine and off we are back home waiting for the results. My cat has had numerous infections which never seemed to bother her elsewise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimbo179

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thnaks my cat is 6 years old

jimbo179

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if its a urninary tract infection is that fixed by antibiotics,

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
if its a urninary tract infection is that fixed by antibiotics,
Typically, yes. That is the best thing to start off with. If it happens again in the near future, there are other things to explore. But, first, get past this infection - if that is what it is - and see what happens. There are things you can do to try to ward off future infections, but that is for another day.
Please keep us posted on what you find out.

jimbo179

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Typically, yes. That is the best thing to start off with. If it happens again in the near future, there are other things to explore. But, first, get past this infection - if that is what it is - and see what happens. There are things you can do to try to ward off future infections, but that is for another day.
Please keep us posted on what you find out.

jimbo179

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
l have been watching her today, she has now been using the litter box but she keeps going to it constantly sometime five times in ten minutes to urinate, l will take her to the vet tommorrow