Cat Upset [need Advice]

jaune

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've had a cat for 4 years now and he's been awesome and our relationship is great. When we got him for the first week he was very timid and kept hissing BUT then he got comfterable and now he NEVER hisses and I can pretty much do anything to him and he doesn't care (but i dont.) But a few days ago I got a baby ferret. And at first he investigated the cage and him but didn't seem to mind all too much. His food and water bowl is right across from the cage and he eats just fine so He didn't seem to care. but about 45 minutes ago from posting this I decided to show my ferret around the house (he was in my hands the whole time) and my cat saw him out of the cage for the first time and to my surprise he went ballistic. He was hissing and eyes were wide and his head was down. He hasn't hissed in years so i was taken by shock and immediately put my ferret back in his cage and put a blanket over it. I went back to my cat to comfort him and he hissed at me again, when i didnt have a ferret in my hands. I don't know why. I took him over to the window HE LOVES because hes and inside cat. Usually he stares out and purrs and loves it but this time he didnt purr, felt tense and kept looking backwards. He seems very hesistant now and always feels tense. I think hes upset. I need advice. Is this wrecking our relationship? Can he still be just as happy as before? Will he be okay? and lastly can they ever be friends?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferrets are predators, too, just like cats, so he may feel a little insecure about having another predator in the house. He probably hissed at you after you put the ferret back in the cage because you still smelled like ferret. Do small introductions like that every day, he should get used to it eventually. I wouldn't expect them to be friends---outgoing/young cats will usually be wrestling pals with a ferret but timid/older cats usually don't care for that nonsense, and young ferrets tend to delight in tormenting cats as much as possible. So I wouldn't give them much access to each other. Make sure the cat has a high perch he can go to if the ferret is annoying him.

Ferrets are very challenging pets, but also a lot of fun. If you can manage it, they're happier in pairs; a single ferret is often a lonely ferret :(.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is not a thing I can add to W Willowy 's advice. It is excellent. And you might want to wash your hands well after handling your ferret. Your cat will still smell him, but it won't be so overpoweringly strong.