Cat undergoing extractions again next week, had heart arrhythmia last year

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 5 year old cat Lee-Lee is going under to have his teeth pulled next week. His quality of life is bad with these bad teeth and ulcers. I just worry how he will react to going under given he had a heart arrhythmia a year ago. It's a risk, but the bad teeth and ulcers make him not want to eat. Has anyone else had a cat that had an arrhythmia once but was fine going under later on?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm hoping that the heart issue was a one-time thing, if that's possible with an arrythmia?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that the heart issue was a one-time thing, if that's possible with an arrythmia?
I have no idea. I was told he will be given a different mix of drugs for the operation this time, more with opioids.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes when he doesn't eat much too, I worry he could have developed fatty liver at some point. I have been worrying a lot about my cat lately.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – TheCatSite Articles
This article may help so that you know what you should be looking for.

Keep in mind that cats are incredibly in tune with our emotions, almost like little sponges, and the more calm and relaxed you can be the better for your kitty :)
Not long after I wrote this he ate 4 puree tubes in a row and some chicken. He won't touch his wet food or a high calorie gel that the vet gave me that cats are supposed to love. He just looks at the gel and walks off.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor guy, --can you add warm water to the food, mix it or even put it into a mixer, and turn it into more of a mousse texture similar to what's in those tubes?

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor guy, --can you add warm water to the food, mix it or even put it into a mixer, and turn it into more of a mousse texture similar to what's in those tubes?
I'll try that. He has always been a picky eater, which makes this harder. His tooth extraction is Monday. I do worry if he will make it out of it. He had that arrhythmia last year. Although the medication mix will be different this time.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your vet must think the benefits outweigh the risks. Talk to him before the surgery to put your mind at ease a bit. Your kitty will feel a lot better and eat better after the extractions. People who have heart problems have had surgery and come thru fine. I’m sure Lee-Lee will be ok

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your vet must think the benefits outweigh the risks. Talk to him before the surgery to put your mind at ease a bit. Your kitty will feel a lot better and eat better after the extractions. People who have heart problems have had surgery and come thru fine. I’m sure Lee-Lee will be ok
He also mentioned quality of life and living with a mouth full of ulcers and red gums is a painful existence. All the poor cat eats for the most part recently is soft baked chicken and puree tubes. The pain also affects his grooming.