Cat Ultra-aggressive With Affection: Leg-rubbing, Purring, Chirping Non-stop!

kdm1984

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The beloved and I love our Mallory, but my goodness. She loves to rub against our legs, purr, and chirp, and it's really cute...to a point, anyway.

Whenever we travel, or whenever I get food out now, she's particularly relentless in doing these things. On top of that, she has gotten in a habit of leaping up on the counters or tables to get our attention. We've been trying to dissuade that, re-directing her by giving her her favorite leopard ball toy, etc.

I think she is part Oriental Shorthair. Still awaiting DNA results.

How to deal with this demanding, clingy, adorable feline? We give her lots of affection and attention, but she seems to need it a lot more than all the other cats I've ever had! She's definitely not the typical independent cat that can disappear off into a corner of the room and be content by herself. She used to be in a shelter with lots of other cats, and she blended in nicely with them -- but now that she has the attention all to herself, she sure is making the most of it. :p

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a lovely kitty! I love that she's clingy to her humans!

Do you have lots of toys for her to play on her own? Do you have scratching posts? A window perch or cat tree besides the windows for her to see activities and movements outside? Or maybe playing youtube videos of birds for cats to watch on your TV?

Not to say that you need all of those things, but having some of them will certainly help. Cats can entertain themselves for hours with their favourite toys (mines loves paper balls and thin pieces of hardboard).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kdm1984

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We do have lots of toys and a scratching post. She loves the toys, especially the leopard ball, but we've tried everything to get her to use the scratching post, but to no avail. Vet suggested even turning it on its side, and we've put catnip on it, pointed the laser pointer she loves to chase on it...but nothing. lol

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She is using all her cuteness to manipulate you! Since she loves attention so much, when she is acting up after you tell her no, shut her in a bedroom or bathroom for ten minutes or so. You may have to do this quite a few times before she connects her behavior to the isolation that results and stops pestering or jumping on counters.

I had a half Siamese girl that looked just like yours, long face, large ears. Her coat was tabby but when she opened her mouth her voice was all Siamese.

kdm1984

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We now have a routine with the little cutie when she tries to eat all our food -- we put her in the pantry for a few minutes until we are done eating. Then she comes back out.

She will eat just about anything, fyi -- have to be very careful and cautious with this creature. She has eaten a bite of chocolate cupcake before, knocked over and tried to eat a box of cookies, bread, a French fry that fell off the table, spaghetti sauce...I think the only thing she hasn't gone after is fruit.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she loves carbs like my current girl. She is a very meek and undemanding cat but begs for any kind of carb. Her absolute favorite that causes her to lose all her manners and steal if necessary is Twinkies.

kdm1984

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, and yes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
:) if you haven't try peas, asparagus, cheddar cheese, sardines, green olives bits, not a lot of course, but...