Cat Tuck Tail Between Legs

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was neutered three days ago and he was acting fine, just a bit weak for the past days. Today, I removed his cone and he was acting normal for the first 5 hours, but now he’s scared and anxious. He’s panting with his tongue sticking out, something he does when he’s scared, and he tucks his tail between his legs when he walks, sits down, or lies down. He even hissed a bit at me, which HE NEVER DOES. How do I help him calm down?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panting is not normal, that indicates extreme fear. So does a tucked tail. It could be the change from removing the cone, but if he doesn't settle down by tomorrow, I would call the vet. I have had countless cats neutered, never used a cone and have never had one act like that except maybe for the first day. Like I said though, it could be the cone.Just talk softly to him, give him treats and lots of reassurance that everything is OK. Try to look at the incision to see if there is any drainage (watery, with maybe a few drops of blood normal,but after three days should be dry.) pus, or signs of infection. He could just be extremely stressed.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like extreme fear, which is highly unusual. I’d call your vet or take him in to make sure everything is okay medically.