Cat Trying To Steal Babies After Spayed

Crazycatlady1069

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my last 3 girls spayed on Thursday (the 20th) 1 girl had babies that are weaned and half of them in their new homes already. We separated her from the rest because we were scared that the babies would hurt her healing because the vet had said not to let them knead on her. Her name is fuss, her daughter (apache) from a previous litter, and apaches half sister (poof) they all got spayed together, fuss is the only one that has had babies. The day after surgery apache and poof were acting strange, but nothing wrong with either of them. The next morning I find them with fuss's remaining babies trying to nurse them, hiding in a small box all curled up together. Took all the babies away and everything was fine, as the day continued I noticed them calling out to the babies and trying to carry them away. We have let fuss out hoping that might calm the other two down but it hasn't. Poof has since tired to run off with each them, meowing and freaking out. Apache has found herself a little spot that she just sits and waits for them to walk by. I have two of the kittens sleeping with me and one has been with mama fuss but poof is still trying to run off with her and call the others to her. I don't understand why they are acting this way when before they were spayed they hated the kittens and now they are trying to feed them. Can someone please explain why my cats are acting this way?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the key is exactly teh spaying. "wrong" balance of hormones. The spaying changed the hormonebalance, and now there are more of maternal hormones, relatively speaking. Possibly also, being spayed, ie having recent surgery, has "opened their eyes". Crises often do provoke forward changes, no?

As long they are happy with it, and nobody get hurt, its swell. Lets hope there is no harmful kneading... :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it's hormones. The cats will calm down as the hormones diminish. As Stefan said, as long as no one is getting hurt they can be together.

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can put mama and kittens in there own room. The vet doesn't want them with mom because of the claws might cause infection in mama cat. You can put a shirt sleeve around Mama's belly so she can still be with baby's and clean them..