Cat trouble eating in morning now fine after 4 years

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Then her appetite decreased for 3 days, she got a stuffy nose and sneezing,drink a lot and sat by the bowl( maybe because of her cold),then diarrhea. For over a week she is eating with no problem, more than usual. Her canned food has not changed. 7 yrs old 7.9 pds- gained a few oz from eating like a normal cat . Still sneezing a little. Haven't seen her use the litter box but the vet said her Blatter was empty and said she was fine after doing a physical exam. She no longer sits by the water.What is weird is she no longer throws up or lethargic in the morning, has anyone dealt with this? I am baffled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet did give her a b12 infection when I told him she was going diarrhea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can only surmise that she was deficient in B12 and the injection resolved her symptoms - weight loss, lethargy, diarrhea, and/or vomiting - all of which are common with a B12 deficiency. Not sure how the 'cold' played into all of this - but, if it was viral in nature, it might have been a flare up because B12 is also crucial to the immune system.

What does the vet think is behind the B12 deficiency? Is she going to be re-checked for her B12 level in the near future? Has she been tested for possible viral issues?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
He will not test her even though I asked him to so I am taking her somewhere else. It does make since that its maybe b12 deficiency. He should have thought of that. Will that show up in blood work if she needs b12? It might show that she's fine now but eventually her problems might come back

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak with experience on cats about this here but, I wonder if her cold decreased inflammation that was maybe causing the morning nausea? I have pretty bad allergies and semi-diagnosed allergic asthma. When I have a cold, I breathe better and I get less allergy symptoms. When the immune system is busy with something, it can't give as much attention to the other things and sometimes it means decreasing an unnecessary overreaction, like allergies.

Or like FeebysOwner said maybe it's a vitamin deficiency that caused both the appetite and the weakened immune system. Very possible too.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak with experience on cats about this here but, I wonder if her cold decreased inflammation that was maybe causing the morning nausea? I have pretty bad allergies and semi-diagnosed allergic asthma. When I have a cold, I breathe better and I get less allergy symptoms. When the immune system is busy with something, it can't give as much attention to the other things and sometimes it means decreasing an unnecessary overreaction, like allergies.

Or like FeebysOwner said maybe it's a vitamin deficiency that caused both the appetite and the weakened immune system. Very possible too.
I was also thinking the cold help but I wont know til later how long. That plus the b12.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I cant decide if I should go ahead and have this new vet do blood and urinalysis or wait til it starts again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have any idea what the timeline should be to have her checked for her B12 level after the injection? I know from other members on this site - and, my husband - the general guideline is a monthly injection. Make sure you get a copy of ALL of her records for the new vet to review. Maybe they will have a recommendation to make to you once they have read all of her history?

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I did call. The b12 is only supposed to last 2 days so she must be fine now she had the shot July 18 so I wont worry about it anymore. Thanks!