Cat toe swollen, is it broken?

jillybeaner117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here. Yesterday I noticed that my 6 month old kitten has a swollen toe, and it's a little crusty around the nail (not sure if she got stepped on :( She's walking on it fine, and playing as usual, but if i touch it she yelps. Does it look like its broken? I can't get her to the vet til next week, just wondering what I can do to help her in the meantime.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Email the picture to the vet and follow up with a phone call. Ask if there is anything yp can do at home until the appointment or if the appointment should be moved up sooner.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to second LTS3 LTS3 's advice. See if you can email your vet a copy of that. I kinda doubt that she was stepped on, as ONLY that toe is affected, and there are undamaged toes (apparently) on either side. What concerns me is that she may have gotten that nail hooked in something and damaged the nail/nailbed. If that's the case, you do need to be very alert to an infection starting. Do get her in next week, and do contact the vet about what to do at home in the mean time. PLAIN neosporin (NO PAIN ADDITIVES) can be used on cats, as can plain, unblended and chilled chamomile tea. Just be sure to use bags from the store to assure you that ONLY German chamomile is used. ALL commercially prepared chamomile tea bags are pure German chamomile.