Cat threw up three times

canadiansuzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, 13 year old female cat. After throwing up twice in an 8 hour period. I took her to a vet. They did complete blood work and everything came back normal. All organ function normal. She had low white blood cell count so they gave her an antibiotic shot, gave her X-rays, which showed two stools, one with possibly a lot of hair. They also gave her anti nausea shot and pills, which ended yesterday. She’s eating fine, normal in herself. She has a follow up to test the blood again in a few days. Today though she threw up right after having some treats. Some were whole. Called the vet and they said she likely ate too fast and that’s what caused this. Of course im a nervous person so im worried about the low white blood cell count. Her stools did pass yesterday and the day before and one did have a solid hair clump about 2.5 inches. Has anyone had experience with low white blood cells?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I went on a trip once,left out dry food, came back,same problem. Low white blood count and on meds for 2 weeks. She had a stool stuck in her. After that happened, I no longer give dry. She also eats too fast then throws up. I have 2 other cats. I assume she eats fast so no one will take her food so I feed her in another room. Also be sure there are no animals she can hear outside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canadiansuzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went on a trip once,left out dry food, came back,same problem. Low white blood count and on meds for 2 weeks. She had a stool stuck in her. After that happened, I no longer give dry. She also eats too fast then throws up. I have 2 other cats. I assume she eats fast so no one will take her food so I feed her in another room. Also be sure there are no animals she can hear outside
Thanks for getting back. Yeah a big problem too with hairballs. Had another last night.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feed her wet food you can try to smash it to the sides and bottom of her food bowl and it should slow her down considerably so she doesn't throw it right back up but if the others try to get her food she would have to be in her own area as you have mentioned you do anyway. If she is on wet food I hope this helps aome.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, 13 year old female cat. After throwing up twice in an 8 hour period. I took her to a vet. They did complete blood work and everything came back normal. All organ function normal. She had low white blood cell count so they gave her an antibiotic shot, gave her X-rays, which showed two stools, one with possibly a lot of hair. They also gave her anti nausea shot and pills, which ended yesterday. She’s eating fine, normal in herself. She has a follow up to test the blood again in a few days. Today though she threw up right after having some treats. Some were whole. Called the vet and they said she likely ate too fast and that’s what caused this. Of course im a nervous person so im worried about the low white blood cell count. Her stools did pass yesterday and the day before and one did have a solid hair clump about 2.5 inches. Has anyone had experience with low white blood cells?
Usually when the food comes up whole it is because they ate too fast.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you never know why this happens. I have a 13 year old cat that throws up every 7 days. Sometimes 3 times in an hour on the throw-up days. Been to 4 different vets and all say she is healthy, been going on for a year. Each throw up has a big fur ball. I brush her 3 to 4 times a day (longhair) . She loves the brush, but the constant throwing up worries me. Can't do much else since everyone says she is perfectly healthy with fantastic blood results and x-rays showing everything is fine. I have tried different food to no effect. Don't know what else to try. Just have to accept it I guess.