Cat threw up, but it was different this time?

BlackCatGirl80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgive me I’m new to this site and was really seeking some possible help, so I’ll get right to it. I have a 10 yr. old cat, will be 11 this October. He had gotten sick tonight (12:20 March 31st) which isn’t normally unusual. As he tends to eat too much and puke up undigested food, or the occasional hair ball. But tonight he had puked up a hair ball with runny brown substance and it smelled very fowl (it was just a light brown with no blood/coffee ground-like substances). He’s never puked something up like this before and I’m honestly

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site, glad you joined us. It could be staining from the food he has eaten, it sometimes happens and it dies smell foul. Is he eating, drinking, behaving as normal? Just keep an eye on him, hopefully he has got rid of all the hairball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlackCatGirl80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to the site, glad you joined us. It could be staining from the food he has eaten, it sometimes happens and it dies smell foul. Is he eating, drinking, behaving as normal? Just keep an eye on him, hopefully he has got rid of all the hairball.
Thank you! And yes he has been eating and drinking and continuing his normal behaviors, but I will definitely make sure to keep an eye on him to see if he starts acting any different.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! As said above, it could be food coloring related. The fact that is was runny suggests more time might have passed since he ate and the food was it starting to digest (vs. immediate regurgitation from eating too fast), therefore being mixed with stomach acids - which could attribute to the smell. Was there any hair in it? If not, it could be a prelude to another vomit session with hair. Try giving him a dab of butter/margarine to lick off either his paw or your finger to help him try to pass the hairball, maybe for 2-3 days in a row. If you don't give him anything for hairballs, you could start routinely using the butter a couple of times a week as a preventative measure.