Cat that won’t take his medicine

gerardkoepp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year old Birman. We just recently found out that he has roundworm. The problem is that the medicine the vet gave us in liquid form and it is very hard for me to give it to him. I have tried to burrito him but he gets traumatized. I have also tried putting it in his food but that doesn’t work either! If you have any advice please let me know!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on how much your cat accepts to be handled.
Generally the medicine for roundworm is in pill or paste form.
If it's a pill, and if the cat allows you to keep his mouth open for a few seconds, you just pry open his mouth with one hand while keeping his chin up, with two fingers of the other hand shove the pill down his throat and shut the mouth while gently massaging his neck until he swallows it.
If it's a paste, you might just spread it on his mouth roof, he will be forced to swallow it.
If it's a liquid, you could syringe it between the teeth on the side of his mouth and again keep his head up till he swallows it.

How often do you have to give him the medicine?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A lot of times trying to put meds in a cat's regular food doesn't work well. And, I personally will go to any lengths NOT to give a med by itself to Feeby. So, I have found success with the following foods/treats when giving Feeby meds. They work equally well with liquid meds or pills (as long as the pills can be smashed). Just mix the meds with a bit of one of them (just enough to make sure he ingests it all).
1.) Lickable treats, such as Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, and Inaba Churu, just to name a few. Tiki Cat Mousse works well too.
2.) The 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken in water, with a piece of the meat as a treat afterward.
3.) Baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut - neither have any additives like onions, etc.).

Hope one or more of these will work for you as well!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In case nothing above works, you can look on youtube to find many, many video's on how to give a cat liquid meds.