Cat tail shaved during spay???

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Went to check my cats spay incision and just noticed they shaved her tail near her butt and now she has a red mark. They didn’t let me know to watch out for this area or tell me they shaved it so I’m just wondering why they shaved her tail and what this mark could be
86DCB6C6-77B9-4A44-99CA-01445F17E77E.jpeg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know of any reason why they should shave her tail before a spaying, other than they wanted to check if the shaver was working fine and used it on the area where they could do the least "damage", and it is possible that they shaved her too close to the skin and the skin gout bruised or sore.
I would call the clinic and ask them what happened, and what to do. I think that it is nothing to worry about, and some black tea dabbing might help your cat if she feels uncomfortable with this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, there was another member who had something similar with their kitty - not sure how easy it is to cause a "burn" when using clippers, but hopefully this heals up quickly :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed that she wasn’t shaved on her arms and after a lot of googling I’m thinking they shaved her here to put in the anesthesia? I’m going to call the office tomorrow and make sure but looking good so far!

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m going to give them a call today to ask why

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called and they said it was shaved for the stuff they use to monitor her, and that the mark was probably just razor burn

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If that area is sore - or, even if it isn't - you can use chamomile tea to help speed up healing. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest should she do so.