Cat suddenly has tons of energy

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need ideas on playing with and tiring one of my cats out. She is just turned 2 , has TONS of energy and has turned into a bit of a trouble maker.
she has always had a lot of energy , lately she seems bored and has WAY more zoomies and jumping climbing things. Pretty much being a cat. I play with them before I go to work then when I get home. They get pretty bored of their toys quickly. The cat In question will have zoomies from 1 end of the house to the other over and over, and my issue with the zoomies is not some much that she is doing them but she will bump into her sister pretty hard or jump on her. Twink is very docile compared to Rosie.
She has also started bolting out the back door again. Luckily there is an enclosed porch so she can’t get loose . I worry about the front door though.
they don’t like electronic toys, I was thinking about a cat wheel? Are these safe? She does like to go on the treadmill when I’m walking on it so she may like it. We use string toys, they have a cat tower and one of those donut huts they can run around in.
I can tell she is bored , I would like to know how others play with their high energy cats.
She is very healthy, just had her yearly physical last year.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey the zoomies are releasing some of that energy, it sounds like you are doing all you can. If she is used to an exercise treadmill, she would most likely love an exercise wheel! Get some of those large corrugated scratchers at Walmart, my cats absolutely love them and tear them to pieces, using a lot of energy. Believe me, she will calm down in teh coming yeras, but most likely always have more energy than usual, some cats just do. Keep us posted on how she does with that wheel!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could also make/buy some tunnels for her to use for exploration. Some of the ones you can buy can be re-configured so if she would get bored with one 'pathway' set up you could change it up (see example below).

Also, regarding your worries about her darting out the front door - here is a TCS article with some ideas on how to try to prevent that from happening.
4 Foolproof Ways To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door - TheCatSite

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats have a wheel. Only one cat uses it, but, all my cats are older. I'm hoping to teach any new cats or kittens that are in my future to use it and enjoy it.
I actually was looking for another wheel today to place elsewhere in the house, and Amazon has one for $200 that I'm drooling to have.
Amazon.com