Cat Suddenly Aggressive/defensive For No Reason. Please Help

jaci_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new here and have been searching the posts and haven't found anything similar. I am hoping someone can help. My cat Pumpkin, who is about 9 is normally a calm cat and loves me and my husband. Not a fan of my two kids, but she just leaves them alone and they leave her alone. Yesterday she came around the corner and really became super defensive, growling, hissing, hackles up....all of it towards my daughter. My daughter had just come inside and was changing her shoes and had done nothing else. My daughter went back outside and the cat calmed down. I had figured she picked up the smell of the friends dog and for some reason it really bothered the cat. (we have 3 dogs too and also foster adoptable dogs but this was the best explanation I had). A little later my husband walked near her and she did the same thing to him, not attacking, but very very scared and defensive. Loud shrieking and growling. We got her to the basement and figured she would rest overnight and be ok. I went down later and held her and she purred and was normal. Then this morning, the same thing again. Each time she does this she is peeing all over the place while she seems to be protecting herself from us? She is an indoor cat too.

If anyone has experienced this, please share any advice you have. Thank you!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can get a little touchy/scared/aggressive towards their humans or friend pets if they smell a coyote/other cat outside or hear a distant construction project or something, but this seems a little over the top. If it continues, a vet visit is warranted as health issues can cause all kinds of sharp behavior changes including fear/aggression.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry this is happening with your cat. I agree with A ArtNJ , if it continues, you should probably make a vet appointment to ensure it's nothing physical.

Here are some TCS articles that might be helpful:

Re-directed Aggression In Cats
Cat Aggression Toward People

Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

You, Your Cat And Stress

Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home