Cat stung by a bee he caught 🤦🏻‍♀️

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So his paw is a little swollen but he is fine. I can tell his paw still hurts by how he keeps lifting it. I’m just trying to keep him quiet ..... & he is a bit extra sleepy. I will call the vet tomorrow & ask about benadryl dosage for the next time my idiot cat hunts bees. 🤦🏻‍♀️ You know in case of emergency. If his paw really was crazy swollen I would rush him to vet ASAP!

Is there anything else I can do for him? Yes I’m going to buy a box of baking soda just to keep around, in case he catches another one. Which gives the amount of bees I see buzzing around the pollen nubs on the ficus hedges.... and Jackie’s eagerness to hunt .... I think chances are high he will get stung again. I have pulled him back by his leash a few times to prevent him from catching bees..... but it was dusk & on the ground. I didn’t see it in time. 😿

His right front paw in the picture got stung.
C4A3CD9C-4303-42DE-A07F-A5F244BB93A4.jpeg
0E45B98B-FECC-4A38-A996-4EF5FAD434B9.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dosage is 1mg. per pound of weight. Ask your vet if it can be given. The usual pill form of Benadryl is 25mg (make sure you aren't giving sleep aide type which is 50mg.) I gave 1/2 pill which is for a 12.5lb. cat. it is horribly bitter and causes them to foam at the mouth, so if they swallow it mashed into a piece of cheese, bacon, or pill pocket, that is much better. My poor Burt used to get stung and his breathing became very fast and his skin crawled all over, Benadryl brought him out of it pretty fast, even if I had to syringe it into him and deal with the foaming mouth. His breathing scared me.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently they make epi pens for cats (or small dogs.) So maybe Burt needs one?

Jackie is breathing fine. One paw is just a bit sore and swollen. I can tell it hurts his paw because I’m watching him very closely ....... like a helicopter mom. 😉 When it happened (about 12 hours ago) I picked him up immediately and checked for a stinger. (He was growling and hissing and distress meowing as I carried him away....... once I started fake purrring at him and got him back on his turf, he calmed down.) Knowing what I know now, I would have applied a paste of baking powder to the sting & forced an icepack (wrapped in a tea towel) on his paw for 15 minutes. But given it happened so long ago & that he is fine ..... I’m going to let it play out this time. I’m still going to call the vet about a prescription in case he has a bad reaction to a bee sting one day. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I saw in picture of a cat with a paw swollen 3x’s it’s normal size. If Jackie had that, I would rush him to the vet.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swelling almost completely gone. His paw doesn’t seem to be bothering him.

He is on rest, in that I only gave him one short 5 minute walk today and 3 hours of lounging around outside. I tried to keep him calm today. I’m still keeping him on rest tomorrow to. I called the vet & for my 13 pound twerp, in case of extreme swelling; he is to be give 1/2 of one 25 mg tablet of benadryl every 8-12 hours as needed.

The silly goofball will be fine. Hopefully now that the ficus blooms are dropping there will be way less bees around.