Cat stressed and not responding - due to moving house?

annabelharber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, this is my first post so I’m sorry if I’ve laid out anything wrong. I wanted to post to ask about my neighbours’ cat. You can skip to the third paragraph if you want to get to the issue, I just wanted to give some background to it. Background - he (B) is like a pet to us as the neighbours inherited their cats and don’t really want them, so they do the bare minimum for them like food and water but other than that my family is always playing with them. The neighbours were going to let us adopt B but we couldn’t as my dad is quite badly allergic, but we let B hang out in our house for short periods of time. He’s a very friendly cat that purrs like a machine; he’s super loving and if you call his name, he will run up to you.

Anyway, the neighbours are currently in the process of moving house, and they still have some rent time on their current house. So what they’ve done is moved to their new one, and they’re currently living in it, but they’ve still got some stuff left in the old house (opposite mine) to move across, I assume, soon. But they’ve also left the cats at the old house. Every day they come and drop off food and water inside the house, but then just leave. They don’t even look for the cats to check on them, so I’ve been doing so like normal.

But the cats have completely changed. B’s brother, G, has had a personality change - he is normally very shy and doesn’t come out often but now he’s been at our door every night meowing super loud. He’s clearly very lonely and freaked out by no one being in the house, he’s never come over before. But it’s B that has the real problem. As I said, he’s incredibly friendly and he has been coming over to our house for about a year, but not any more. The moving process started about 5 days ago, and in these 5 days, firstly B looks almost feral. His eyes are completely crusty and his fur is messy. He’s also sleeping all the time, even right in the middle of the grass by the old house. He never used to do this. He just sleeps now and does absolutely nothing else. When I came over and called his name, he would normally run over excitedly, but instead I got no response. I called his name so many times but he didn’t look up or even open his eyes. But when I got closer I assume he sensed my movement, as he opened his eyes a bit and ran off in seconds. It’s like he’s terrified of me, or anyone. This has only been in the last 5 days so the moving house process has clearly taken a toll on these lovely cats. I don’t know why they didn’t just take them over.

I just wanted to know if B is okay, and if he’ll get better. Or if these are normal behaviours for a stressed cat, because him not hearing me at all did freak me out - but he might just be choosing not to hear me. And just because he’s never like this - he trusts me so much and basically sees me and my sister as his owners. Like I said he even comes in like our house where he jumps on my lap. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annabelharber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need to add!!! He’s not a kitten - he’s 7 years old. It put kitten and I can’t remove it oops.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds more like he is sick with something. A scared or stressed cat usually hides. Do you know if he is eating? Of course, he could be just sick with worry about why his humans are gone. Please see if you can get him to eat/drink. Do you know if the neighbors even plan on taking them? I get so mad when people abandon their pets. The only good thing is that they are coming back to feed them, they may plan on getting settled first and then taking them over. For now, just make sure they have water and food, and try to give them some social time too if you can. At least until you find out what the neighbor's intentions are. You will be blessed for caring......PS i get some congestion medicine on Amazon called Feline Nose relief. Cheap and it helps. With his crusty eyes and maybe not hearing so good, (could be congestion) it may help. I put it in the food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
How are things going? Are the cats still there? Can you talk to the owners - the one certainly needs to be taken to a vet as soon as possible.